Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Backing a quilt witih flannel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backing-quilt-witih-flannel-t211923.html)

AlienQuilter 01-25-2013 05:44 AM

I just reread your post. A bit of advice. When you quilt it, quilt over all the seams. Since it's a baby quilt it's probably will need to be washed often. My stepmother made a darling flannel quilt for my oldest. He loved it and because of that, it needed to be washed several times a year. Every time I washed it, I had to sit down with needle and thread to repair it - so anchor those seams with quilting or use a serger.

Toni C 01-25-2013 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter (Post 5812001)
One of my grandmothers used to make tops and only use a sheet for backing and nothing inbetween - everybody loved them.

The quilts with no batting.Did she quilt them? Tie them? Reason I'm asking is I live near Houston and we hardly get any cold. My Boston Terriers like to sleep under cover. I would like something cooler for almost all months

lfletcher 01-25-2013 05:55 AM

I backed a Christmas quilt with flannel and no batting because I live in Texas. I have regretted it ever since. I love the quilt top. It is a triple Irish chain in Christmas colors which I cross-hatched for quilting. Because there was no batting, the quilting doesn't look that great. No dimension. Therefore, I would recommend at least a thin batting.

QuiltnNan 01-25-2013 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by rush88888 (Post 5811829)
don't forget that some flannel shrinks at a higher percentage than other fabrics. perhaps, you might want to launder it in hot water several times to allow for this shrinkage.

this was my first thought, too

QuiltnNan 01-25-2013 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter (Post 5812001)
One of my grandmothers used to make tops and only use a sheet for backing and nothing inbetween - everybody loved them.

When I was young, we used to call these Summer Quilts

joan3111 01-25-2013 11:06 AM

Thanks very much for all your suggestions - I have decided to use the flannel in place of batting and put a backing on the quilt - and thanks to your help I'll wash the flannel two or three times before using it to get rid of any lingering shrinkage!

Best regards, Joan

AlienQuilter 01-25-2013 01:33 PM

Toni C - She tied them.

AlienQuilter 01-25-2013 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5812068)
When I was young, we used to call these Summer Quilts

We were in S. California - a heavy quilt would be too much.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-25-2013 01:35 PM

Jenny at Missouri Star has a two layer flannel tutorial. It's a very cute, quick little quilt.

love to sew 01-25-2013 01:38 PM

I have seen this done before and it works great. The flannel makes is nice and soft. And here in Phoenix, we don't need the extra warmth either. So really it is up to you.