Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batiks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batiks-t57332.html)

lizzy 08-01-2010 04:51 PM

Thanks for the input on Batiks. I will definitely buy some Retayne. I have had several Batiks bleed color, especially the reds, purples and dark blues. For me, I do not wash my fabrics that go in wall hangings, or purses; anything I know I will not wash. Good luck. :wink:

ghostrider 08-01-2010 05:46 PM

Be aware that some batiks can transfer color just by rubbing on another fabric. You may want to test that with the ones you do not plan to pre-wash.

littlehud 08-01-2010 08:02 PM

I have never had a problem with my batiks bleeding.

daria 08-01-2010 09:29 PM

I put fat quarters in a lingerie bag and use synthropol. Just a cap full in a small load. This works even better than the color catcher sheets and especially for batiks! I have only found bottles of synthopol at quilt stores.

Vanuatu Jill 08-01-2010 09:36 PM

mmmm-some say they never have bleeding, some say they always bleed. Do you think it is the quality of fabric?? How do you know? I just bought batik FQ's at Joann's-does anyone know if those will bleed or will I be ok not pre-washing?

daria 08-01-2010 09:38 PM

I have not had a bleed issue ever. But when I make something especially with batik I don't want to take the chance of a bleed after is all put together. Batiks are the ones that I definitly alway wash before hand even fat quarters. You just never know. I have only had horror stories from others and I don't want one of my own.

tmg 08-02-2010 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I always prewash batiks with Retayne. It locks in the color instead of just dealing with colors floating around in the water after it's left the fabric. Treats the cause, not just the symptom. :D

I prewash the same way as ghostrider but I also put in a color catcher in my wash with the retayne

ckcowl 08-02-2010 02:20 AM

the batiks i've seen from Joannes DO BLEED AND SHRINK! be sure and at least test before using. if you are leaning toward not prewashing a test should be done...
quality does make a huge difference in the properties of batiks, joannes batiks are nothing like hoffman bali batiks. all batiks should be tested for color fastness. and the ones dyed on (less expensive) looser weaved fabrics will shrink along with bleeding.
ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.

Lori S 08-02-2010 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
mmmm-some say they never have bleeding, some say they always bleed. Do you think it is the quality of fabric?? How do you know? I just bought batik FQ's at Joann's-does anyone know if those will bleed or will I be ok not pre-washing?

When it comes to batiks there is no way of knowing for absolute certainty!
Some of the "batiks" that are sold at Joann's are not true batiks, that is they are not dyed in the same manner... but again there is no way of being absolutey sure of what process was used. But them in a sink of warm water ...swish them around a bit you will know in an hour exacty what you have.
It is not the quality of the fabric and the dyes can be made colorfast but not if using a traditional batik method. ... it is the method/process used that causes the running/bleeding in batik fabrics. I have had some of the worst running and bleeding in Hoffman "watercolor" collection batiks.
I think if we can purchase Retayne or similiar why is it the manufactures are not doing this as part of there process? Why does the consumer have to take this step?