Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   batting for quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-quilts-t299970.html)

WMUTeach 10-05-2018 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana (Post 8137541)
If you have a Joan's near you, you can get coupons to buy their batting for about 50% off.

I also do this at JoAnn's. Periodically I will get a 60% or but more often 50% off and then I shop batting and even if it will stretch my budget. I often will get the queen size and then use the iron on tape to join pieces for smaller quilts or baby quilts. Save money and then stretch it.

Jane Quilter 10-05-2018 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach (Post 8137986)
I also do this at JoAnn's. Periodically I will get a 60% or but more often 50% off and then I shop batting and even if it will stretch my budget. I often will get the queen size and then use the iron on tape to join pieces for smaller quilts or baby quilts. Save money and then stretch it.

That iron on tape is pricey too. I buy that by the yard in the interfacing area and cut it into "strips" to join batting pieces.

PurplePassion 10-05-2018 06:56 AM

Why use the tape? Just do a wide zig zag stitch to hold the pieces together.

boykinsmommy 10-05-2018 07:02 AM

I like Hobbs from Connecting Threads. I've used other battings but the bearding is terrible. They often have it on sale too so look for that.

Jordan 10-05-2018 07:23 AM

If you have a Michael's near you-they have Hobbs 80/20 batting and I always use a 40% off coupon and I can get a queen size batting package for a fair price. Don't know if all Michael's has the batting but it is worth checking out.

nativetexan 10-05-2018 08:02 AM

boy, you are right. way too expensive. I just put a notify me hold on at one company. i want to use fusible again.

NZquilter 10-05-2018 09:46 AM

Wal-Mart online has the Pellon 80/20 cotton polyester batting for a about $25 for 96" wide by 9 yard blot. If you buy two, you get the free shipping to your house! I like the 9 6" wide because I can easily fit the length of a queen size quilt without piecing the batting. And 18 yards for $50 is the best buy I have found. (I know! I have deeply researched batting! :))

Austinite 10-05-2018 10:20 AM

I quit buying batting at Joann's I think it's just too overpriced and honestly, I don't like dealing with the crowds!
I watch the prices at Amazon and Walmart and get it shipped to my door! You don't have to use tape or anything to join pieces, I just butt the pieces of batting together and do a wide zigzag and ready to go.

newbee3 10-05-2018 11:06 AM

I also bought from Walmart and have had no problem with the batting. Flannel blankets would work if that is what you have. How are you going to quilt them? If by hand the thicker blanket might be hard to deal with.

RosaSharon 10-05-2018 11:56 AM

tape vs zig zag

Originally Posted by PurplePassion (Post 8138101)
Why use the tape? Just do a wide zig zag stitch to hold the pieces together.

I agree wholehearted! I bought the tape. I had to heat the iron, then carefully position it, iron it, and found there was not really enough tape to justify the price. I went back to the old zig zag on my machine method. Works faster, cheap, and always at hand.