Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting for table runners? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-table-runners-t166327.html)

Joeysnana 11-07-2011 05:37 AM

I have always used W&N, but after reading on this board about using flannel, I tried it with a piece of an old flannel sheet I had. It worked great. Cheaper than using batting too!

Julie in NM 11-07-2011 05:39 AM

I use thin batting or sometimes flannel that has been washed several times. In my table runners, placemats, and mug rugs don't want thickness. Worried about glasses tipping. BUT if you are making them....use what you want for batting. That's what's nice about quilting...some rules CAN be broken or bent.

Lots of us jus like to read posts but dont resond...no idea why. I've posted pic and have had 6,000+ views but only 100 replies.

SUZAG 11-07-2011 05:39 AM

Since this is going to be for my daughter and I really want her to USE IT, I think I will put some insulbrite and batting in it so she can put hot stuff on it. Does that stuff work really well for hot dishes? I would hate to ruin her new table...lol Something tells me I wouldn't make too many points with that...LOL

If I make a reversible one, like I want to, would I need to put Insulbrite on both sides? Not sure how that stuff works.

Thanks again everybody for your posts.

SUZAG 11-07-2011 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound (Post 4645685)
wow, those were really good prices if the fabric was nice. I put more money into them than that! It takes a yard of fabric for a pillowcase so at $10 a yard they were losing money..must have used much cheaper fabric!!!

The fabric was name brand stuff that I've seen at the LQS...seemed like nice quality

hunters grammy 11-07-2011 05:43 AM

I have just started trying to figure out this new QB - I had really become comfortable with the other one and bang - it is changed. I usually put warm and natural or Quilters Dream in my table runners. It is just enough for me (not so much to make it thick and things fall over but makes it nice and smooth on the table.

Drew 11-07-2011 05:44 AM

I prefer warm and natural as I can then put a hot dish on the runner without fear of scorching the table.

Teacher 11-07-2011 05:54 AM

I have successfully used fleece as a backing for a table runner. It is soft, not too thick and is easily washed when someone drops something on it. It also means that you can stand a vase or similar on it without the vase being off balance. I have
kids about!

Joyce Ann 11-07-2011 06:17 AM

I always use batting in table runners It gives body to them

hobo2000 11-07-2011 06:34 AM

I have made seven star spin toppers. Because there are so many seams, I don't use batting. I QID these and they look. Beautiful so it depends ontherunner or topper.

littlehud 11-07-2011 06:35 AM

I too like warm and natural for table runners. I like them with a little batting. They just don't feel right to me without any batting. JMHO