Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting for table runners? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-table-runners-t166327.html)

pugmom 11-07-2011 07:40 AM

I have made several of the 10 minute table runners and have not used any batting. I do FMQ on each end and on the sides and like how they look. I am afraid the runner would be to "fluffy" if you used too much batting.

yippie 11-07-2011 08:00 AM

Suzag, I just learned about table runners and the question to bat or not to bat is once again a personal choice, so I was told. Some people like to put batting in to put hot plates on, others do not like the thickness of the batting and use the table runner as a decration on the table. SOoooo once again a round about answer. O the batting used you guessed it is personal choice also. I would think that if you want to use it for hot plate to be placed on you would use a thermal batting. Hope my answer helps. Happy quilting

yayaquilts 11-07-2011 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit (Post 4644821)
You could also use flannel if you want a thinner look or something along those lines.

I have used flannel on a few table runners, especially if they are more for "decoration" than use. If you want them to be used for hot items, batting and/or insulbrite would be better. And if you want them to look more "quilted" you'd need batting.

ShirlinAZ 11-07-2011 08:13 AM

Sorry it took so long for me to see your post. I look at the "what's new" tab, but too often it is new entries on old threads. I would prefer to see new threads first, but haven't figured out how to do that.

I have used flannel in my table runners, but wasn't really happy with how thin it was. Now I use warm & natural and I'm much happier with it. I feel like I can actually set a hot serving dish on a runner with w&n and not worry that it will harm my table.

Camping Angel 11-07-2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by SUZAG (Post 4644792)
I have had this posted now since Saturday and not one response! I've had 60 views but no responses! On the old format, I would have gotten a lot of answers! Have the helpful people left the board? This never even made it to the top of the "What's New", I guess because it didn't have any responses. The first place I found it was on page 2 of the "What's New"... Strange how this is working... I am posting again...

I don't think you can blame the new board for no or few responses. I had these same experiences on the old board. So many things are posted every hour that it only takes a few minutes and your topic no longer makes it on the first or second page of "recent posts". That is where I do most of my reading.

As far as batting in table runners, I like to use fleece. It has more body than flannel but not as much as warm and natural. Just my personal preference. I like the other ideas I've been reading here, too.

Pink Dogwood 11-07-2011 08:36 AM

I personally like to put a low loft batting in mine. The first one I made years ago, the pattern didn't call for anything inside and everytime I look at it now, I think it looks sooooo flat...I like the look of batting or flannel inside. However, having said that, I do believe it is a personal choice. Don't worry about the Quilt Police...they are few and far between!!! LOL

amandasgramma 11-07-2011 08:39 AM

I vote for having batting. My neighbor had one given to her that didn't have batting. She said every time she washes it, she has to press it to make it lay flat. The one she has that has batting just requires washing, drying and laying on the table with a little "hand pressing". I looked at borth of them and they were quilted with about the same density.

valleyquiltermo 11-07-2011 08:39 AM

Ditto:thumbup:

Originally Posted by missionslady (Post 4644817)
I just saw your question regarding batting for tablerunners. I've made a number of these and even sold a few. I have always used a light traditional batting. You need something that will give it that quilted look, but without too much bulk. I prefer a cotton batting such as warm and natural, and that has worked great for the ones I have made. I hope you get additional comments, as I'm sure there are some who have made more than I have.

jaciqltznok 11-07-2011 08:47 AM

I use Thinsulate batting. It sold on the bolt at walmart usually. But I know other stores have it.
I bought 2 bolts when our WM closed the fabric dept 3 years ago..so don't need to buy more yet, but I really love how it quilts up and lies FLAT...just LOVE it...

roxie623 11-07-2011 08:53 AM

I have always used W&N in my table runners as don't want them to be too thick. I just found your thread and I believe that other will respond as soon as they figure out how to get to new threads.:)