Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beginner quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beginner-quilter-t27415.html)

EagarBeez 10-22-2009 03:33 PM

I saw a quilt I wanted to try, and I researched the internet and found instructions to make it. I went and purchased some fabric and put it all together. It did not turn out fantastic, but, I sure am proud of my first accomplishment.
I am now on quilt 5 once my sprained hand heals and I can get back to quilting
Best to you

stitchfancy 10-22-2009 03:50 PM

Hi Sharon - What I did was go to websites featuring free quilt patterns. I would pick a pattern that was fairly simple and follow the instructions very carefully. Most of them have good instruction sheets.

Hope this helps some.

89a677 10-22-2009 05:11 PM

Hi, welcome to quilting. There is a wonderful quilt shop on Fayetteville called Loving Stitches. I'm sure they have beginner classes. They also have sit and sews where I'm sure the ladies will help you. I live in NY, but when I go see my son in Fayetteville, i never fail to take a trip to Loving Stitches.

GailG 10-22-2009 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I took a class when I first started but it was from the "Quilts Quilts Quilts" book which really covers quite an array of methods. Do you have a LQS (local quilt store) in your area? I'd check there for classes. Sometimes the community centers here have them too, but I don't know about your area.

IMHO, that is THE book to get. There is also a "second installment." The books are set up in "lessons." The explanations are very direct and the pictures are great.

OH -- and welcome aboard from South Louisiana.

MAMMY6 10-22-2009 05:53 PM

I haven't been quilting for very long (I'm 59) but I do love to quilt. I do believe I'm obsessed with it. I'm not very good at it but I keep trying. I've bought quite a few books through Amazon.com. Even the newest books have used editions for sale. I bought some of the more popular quilters' books for as little as $4.00, and they have been in great condition. I like to buy the books because I like the pictures, and I have them to refer back to. The internet is also great. Quilt magazines have great tips and almost always have lessons in them. God luck!!

grandmajuki 10-22-2009 05:54 PM

I'd recommend Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Log Cabin... it's very forgiving in the size and you learn your 1/4" seams best.
I teach beginners and this is what I teach
J

Ma for Aadyn 10-22-2009 06:48 PM

welcome from missouri glad to have you abord I learned by taking classes and I started out with Eleanor Burns books they are very simple and easy to follow. good luck

Darlene loves Chocolates 10-22-2009 07:46 PM

log cabin.....is where I started when I got serious....it is super easy and you start to see a pattern very soon after a few blocks....trust me, it is super easy.....I will look for the link I use...as some links can scare you, but truly this is the easiest.

I DID 2 CRAZY QUILTS WITH NO HELP AT ALL....AND THEY ARE SO NEAT BUT DO NOT FOLLOW ANY PROPER RULES, AS FAR AS QUILTING I JUST TIED THEM WITH YARN AND MY 2 GRANDSON THINK THEY ARE THE BEST...I SHOULD NOTE THEY ARE TWIN SIZE.....ONE IS A BIG TWIN SIZE AND THE OTHER IS A SMALL TWIN SIZE....THEY ARE KINDA WONKY IN SIZE....BUT THE KIDS DON[T CARE.....

my point, just start sewing pieces together in the meantime and as soon as you find a class,,,,,JOIN IT!

GOOD LUCK!!!! JUST GO CRAZY AND GET MORE FABRIC!!!!!

marcia a 10-22-2009 07:52 PM

split fence rail. I teach this for a class. following book is out of print so author has few left. I'll have to find the book and will let you know what it is.

marcia a 10-22-2009 08:05 PM

This is a fantastic shop on net!