Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beginner quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beginner-quilter-t27415.html)

Darlene loves Chocolates 10-22-2009 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by marcia a
split fence rail. I teach this for a class. following book is out of print so author has few left. I'll have to find the book and will let you know what it is. [email protected]

IS THE PATTERN LIKE THIS ONE?

Is it like this?????
[ATTACH=CONFIG]51602[/ATTACH]

marcia a 10-22-2009 08:12 PM

no. If you can give me ten minutes I can hobble to sewing room and get the book name. Hold on. I'll be back. Leg in cast and am using walker. UG

marcia a 10-22-2009 08:19 PM

The book is, Quilting for People who Don't have time to quilt.
Marti MIchell

You can Check Amazon too

Hunnib 10-22-2009 08:40 PM

If you're in Wilmington, I would suggest that you take a class at Sewing Circle on Oleander Drive. Give Fran or Andrea a call. When I first started it was a hand quilting class that helped me more than anything.

Pam J 10-23-2009 04:33 AM

Check to see if you have a Project Linus group near you. We have many beginner quilters start by joining the group, tying quilts, and then VOILA! they take home a kit that Project Linus puts together and make a top. I've seen several people who knew nothing about quilting end up making a quilt for Project Linus and one for themselves! There is plenty of help with many friendly quilters! :D

Rainbow 10-24-2009 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by gmac
What is the best way to "get started" for a beginner? Does anyone know of any beginner classes near Wilmington or Fayetteville, NC?

I'm from Fayetteville, NC...and Hancock has classes given by Susan once, twice a week....VERY lovely lady that works well with all people. When I retired my dream was to make a quilt...took a class from her - and have not stopped yet. Still keep in touch with her for some of my 'problem children'. Give her a try if interested.

Mousie 10-26-2009 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by mimee4
So glad you are joining the ranks of quilter. Welcome from central PA. You are in for great satisfaction as you learn to quilt - by the way, each of us is still learning to quilt.

I agree about the book, by Carol Doak, "Your First Quilting Book, Or It Should Be", and I definitely agree with mimee4:
btw, each of us is still learning to quilt. I love that, bc it is so true. :D

marcia a 10-26-2009 07:07 AM

My first quilt ever was a queen drunkards path! If I may say so, I did a pretty good job.

BethAnn 10-26-2009 08:15 AM

I had such the time trying to find a class or a teacher~so what I did (and don't laugh) but I went to YouTube and searched video's on quilting~I found it to be very useful. But I did practice cutting and sewing strips first. I just completed my first quilt. It is for my 3 year old niece.

OR Piecemaker 10-26-2009 05:30 PM

Hi,
It's so exciting to get going. All the advice has been good, so I have only one thing to ad. As you buy a book or two always read all the information in them in addition to the patterns. There is often lots of good information, and soon you'll be a "pro."