Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-iron-t177243.html)

sparkys_mom 01-30-2012 05:47 AM

I bought a Panasonic cordless iron. It was expensive. I didn't have to use steam with my old iron but this one doesn't get as hot so I do use steam. I still have the old iron but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE not having to fight with a cord.

Aurora 01-30-2012 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by gailinva (Post 4921243)
I love my Rowenta (sorry everyone). Had for over 8 years. Bought my daughter one at Sams Club paid $59, wouldn't buy their top of the line.

I love my Rowenta as well. I makes every quilting trip my machine and I make. My fellow quilters love using it because it presses beautifully and gets really hot. I paid $56 at Lowes about 8 years ago.

Stitchnripper 01-30-2012 06:03 AM

I gave up on my Rowenta and am using a Black and Decker Digital Advantage which I like a lot. If you use the search function, you can see all the other discussions we've had on irons and maybe there is additional useful information for you.

Rose Marie 01-30-2012 06:05 AM

I buy my irons at Savers. They have lots of Rowentas because they leak. Mine was $5.00 and it leaks but dont use the steam function. I also have a Rowenta travel iron that I like but needs water frequently.

lovelyl 01-30-2012 06:09 AM

My first Rowenta was a fantastic iron. It stopped steaming after about 11 years, so I purchased an even better Rowenta for big $$. It was a professional model instead of a home model, so it only had a 6 month warranty. So, during month 7 it began to leak, spit water, etc. I replaced it with a $27.00 Shark I found at Kroger's and love it! Light weight, stainless steel soleplate, tons of steam! I doubt I would ever pay big $$ again for an iron. I could have had 3 Sharks for the price I paid for my lemon of a Rowenta! Although I love my Rowenta travel iron!

skate 01-30-2012 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 4919465)
I have a shark and it gets the job done. With my wrists I had to get an iron that didn't weigh a ton. My old iron didn't have an automatic shutoff and I had to remember to pull the plug. This one has the automatic shut off and it is a bit annoying - but it is something that I better get used to. DH likes it because it does a good job pressing his shirts.

Martina, you are funny... I'm guessing that the iron doesn't press his shirt, a person does that!!

maryfrang 01-30-2012 06:29 AM

You were lucky with your iron. I heard irons are meant to last only 5 years with regular ironing and shorter for quilters. I have two irons that are priced between 40-50 and like both. One has a silver plate and the other is coated. I use the coated for applique. Good luck with what you get.

mskityocat 01-30-2012 06:30 AM

the best iron I've ever owned was a Black and Decker. It is a light weight war horse of an iron. I presently own that plus a Rowenta which I thought would be the last iron I'd ever own. I love the steam and the instant heat of the Rowenta. The price will scare me off if there is a next time to purchase anything.

Dretha 01-30-2012 06:32 AM

I usually dont talk much on here but this I cant pass up. I bought a small craft iron from Joan's for a small $$. Even though it looks like a toy it definatly isnt, it heats very well. It works great for seams, just the right size. I also own a cheap iron from Dollar store. I use both and dont have a lot of $$ tied up in either. I am not affilated with either store or product and have no interest in either, just trying to help.

gollytwo 01-30-2012 06:35 AM

The only Rowenta that I've had that actually irons well is their small travel iron.
I like a no steam, no teflon. I use one that belonged to a friend's mother - must be 40-50 years old.
The other one I use is from the Vermont Country Store - it was c. $35, A friend gave it to me because she thought I'd have a nervous breakdown when the old one went.