Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best Sewing Machine for quilting.?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-sewing-machine-quilting-t49266.html)

Pam 06-11-2010 03:05 PM

Happy shopping. Looks like you are going to have to get out there and do some test drives. That is the only way you can compare machine to machine and brand to brand. TAKE NOTES! Also, price IS negotiable. Do not be afraid to ask for a discount or some free goodies to go with your machine.

craftybear 06-11-2010 04:47 PM

I would go and test drive different ones and see what you like

Candace 06-11-2010 04:54 PM

Absolutely test drive. I've owned several types of machines and have been very pleased with my Janome 9000 and my brand new Bernina. You'll have to look at quality vs. price and features you need.

Susan P 06-11-2010 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I would go and test drive different ones and see what you like

That's my suggestion also. I would pick out the top 5 of the machines youi are interested in. I have a friend that sewed on a Elna for years. On a visit to my house, she tried out my Bernina and fell in love with it. She looks at her husband and tells him, guess what I'm getting?

When she went back home she did test drive different machines. She ended up with a Viking. She told me that the transition from her Elna was so much easier than other brands. I have sewed on hers, and it was difficult for me because I am so use to my Bernina.

CraftyBear is right. Test drive a few, and buy what is comfortable for you, not what is the best for other people. Great to have suggestions, but only you will know what fits you best.

gaigai 06-11-2010 05:15 PM

Well, if there are 50,000 different machines, you will get 200,000 different opinions. You need to talk to some friends and see what they have, try their machines if you can. Go to different dealers and try their machines.

Quilter7x 06-11-2010 05:21 PM

Do a search on the board and read the other threads, there is a ton of information in them that will be helpful to you.

Susan P 06-11-2010 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Well, if there are 50,000 different machines, you will get 200,000 different opinions. You need to talk to some friends and see what they have, try their machines if you can. Go to different dealers and try their machines.

Excellent point!

Ardis 06-12-2010 06:04 AM

I'm still quilting on my Kenmore which I purchased new in 1964. After not sewing much for several years, I had it repaired about 6 years ago and it still works great. I bought a walking foot and a free motion foot and I'm pretty well set. a couple of years ago I bought a Brother lightweight machine that I take to workshops .

ania755 06-12-2010 06:11 AM

I don't have much options since there are no dealers close to me but the Brother.....So I do go with the Brother machines....I am very happy with all of them.....The PQ1500 is similar to Juki (9" space in the throat)...great stippling and great straigh stitch....(it cost me less than 900$).....I do have also small simple Brother machines (cheap) that do the decorative stitches....
Good luck
:lol:

lynmh 06-12-2010 06:17 AM

Get the best you can afford with everything you want in a machine. Many good brands-- I have Janomes and a Juki no problems with any of them. Make sure you get a dealer that will stand behind their machines and can "fix" any thing that may go wrong. Take whatever you buy for "test drive".
Good luck and be sure and let us know what you get..

lyn