Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   best thread for free motion quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-thread-free-motion-quilting-t39372.html)

MollieSue 03-12-2010 05:15 PM

I use Connecting Threads too.
:)

knlsmith 03-12-2010 05:16 PM

i like robison anton cotton. I use 50 weight because I like my threads to show. I dont use the clear bacuase all of mine get used a lot. It isn't as soft and I don't think it will last as long on a quilt that gets a lot of use, I may be wrong about how long it lasts. Just makes sense to me.

knlsmith 03-12-2010 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
Those of you who use YLI silk, do you put it in the bobbin as well? If not, what do you put there? I love the silk for hand applique.Thanks!

Thanks for asking, I too have wondered about using silk. Seems so pretty.

JanieW 03-12-2010 05:34 PM

When I use silk, I use 100% cotton in the bobbin.
In my experience the YLI monofilament holds up really well to lots of use and lots of washings. It's different from nylon which I don't use. I have quilts that I have used for years that I quilted with the monofilament and cotton in the bobbin.

I never quilt with polyester thread.

Junie 03-12-2010 08:13 PM

I am making a correction of what I said earlier about the screw above the spring on the darning foot, it is not a screw. but there are thread that you turn the nut on and that will adjust the up and down of the darning foot. it is a Janome free motion foot. Sorry for my mistake.

Junie

Katrine 03-12-2010 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Junie
I am making a correction of what I said earlier about the screw above the spring on the darning foot, it is not a screw. but there are thread that you turn the nut on and that will adjust the up and down of the darning foot. it is a Janome free motion foot. Sorry for my mistake.

Junie

I have that fmq foot for my 6600 (closed hoop, right). The nut on the main shaft of the foot can be adjusted up or down. You should regulate so that the bottom of the foot only barely touches your fabric - and it will glide easily. Sounds like you need to wind the screw higher.

gollytwo 03-13-2010 09:20 AM

I use Superior Thread's Bottom Line a #60 that a previous responder told you would sink into the fabric. Also So Fine and occasionally a verigated thread of theirs when I want a variety of colors to show.
www.superiorthreads.com
I've been able to quilt a twin with just one bobbin of Botton Line. My Bernina 1030 takes it for the top stitch and bobbin. My Jem Gold and Platinum only take it in the bobbin.
Good luck.

gollytwo 03-13-2010 09:23 AM

This is a reply to the question about silk thread for applique.
I use Bottom Line for applique, any of their light colours just disappear.

Jo Mama 03-14-2010 03:18 PM

I like Superior's King Tut for general machine quilting and a bright rayon if I am doing decorative stitching.

hcarpanini 03-14-2010 04:37 PM

I absolutely love Isacord thread. It is a poly and it quilts like butter.