Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bits & Pieces (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bits-pieces-t72581.html)

jarenie 10-28-2010 11:46 AM

My granddaughter and I fill old pillowcases with the scraps that are not big enough to use for quilting. The pillowcase are filled about half full and is sewn shut and the finished DOG BED is stored in the spare closet. When the cold weather hits we take them down to the ASPCA for the dogs and cats. I now have 2 quilt shops that have a basket in the classroom and the students are encouraged to put there fabric and batting scraps in the basket. Last saturday we took 35 of the dog beds to the shelter. Where when going through the shelter found that they were still using some of the ones from the last trip.
Per my GRANDMOTHER "No fabric gets thrown away until the dong will have nothing to do with it"

carolstickelmaier 10-28-2010 12:05 PM

CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL ART TEACHER AT THE GRADE SCHOOLS AND HIGH SCHOOLS..I HAVE GIVEN SCRAPS. BITS AND PIECES OF RIBBONS, LACE ETC..EVEN BUTTONS... AND YARNS

Vanuatu Jill 10-28-2010 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by jarenie
My granddaughter and I fill old pillowcases with the scraps that are not big enough to use for quilting. The pillowcase are filled about half full and is sewn shut and the finished DOG BED is stored in the spare closet. When the cold weather hits we take them down to the ASPCA for the dogs and cats. I now have 2 quilt shops that have a basket in the classroom and the students are encouraged to put there fabric and batting scraps in the basket. Last saturday we took 35 of the dog beds to the shelter. Where when going through the shelter found that they were still using some of the ones from the last trip.
Per my GRANDMOTHER "No fabric gets thrown away until the dong will have nothing to do with it"

Another great Idea-now I have two projects to fullfill. I guess I have to get quilting to make more scraps!

quilt3311 10-28-2010 12:49 PM

I put anything smaller than 2" into a bag then, give it to a friend who does nothing but miniatures. She thinks she has gone to heaven when she sees me coming with a bag of scraps.

wraez 10-28-2010 02:34 PM

If they are really tiny, slivers etc you can use them in your compost pile/bin... 100% cotton only.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

kriscraft99 10-28-2010 02:37 PM

what a neat idea!

Originally Posted by Terryl
I cut them up into tiny bits and put them into a jar make a pincushion on the lid. They look very cute.

iowabelle 10-28-2010 03:22 PM

This isn't my idea, but something I want to try, someday. A friend told me she is going to make paper (you know, with pulp and a screen) and put little bits of fabric and thread in it for interest. That may be a little more labor intensive than you want to do, but it sounds like fun for kids. If you have scraps, I'd say cut them down a bit if you're going to do this.

Kate01 10-28-2010 03:29 PM

Great Idea! I have been throwing all my very tiny pieces away, now I will save them too!

bbmom1989 10-28-2010 03:52 PM

As I was reading entries on another site it was suggested that the little tiny crumbs, threads, etc. be put together in one of the moss hanging baskets in the early spring so the birds can use them for their nests. It is reported that they love it. Wondering if it is going just a bit far - but I do love those birds.

Jana

snicktrain 10-28-2010 05:23 PM

Place tiny pieces between two pieces of water soluble stablizer. Work a quilt pattern over it such as a meander just make sure you have touched all the snippits. You can add long strings of thread also. That's how I use my old thread. Then rinse and you have a piece of "fabric" to do with as you want. I save all my cuttings. The color depends on what you use. It's pretty cool.