Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Black Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/black-fabric-t57897.html)

cwessel47 08-07-2010 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah - I agree. We paid for both sides of the fabric. And both are viable choices. If you are using lots and lots of black or anything else really, (and you don't want it to vary from back to front): Cut all the pieces at once. Layer all of them in the same way - right side up or down, and mark the right side on the leftover in case of a mistake. If you are doing something Amish-inspired, do not worry about it. Use all your scraps of black and more - it adds unbelievable depth to your project. I once made a small wall hanging and could not find the "right" fabric for a border until I looked at the back side of fabrics. Solution found. It was fabulous to "go against the rules" and find the answer. Trust yourself and go for it!

This is the back side border I mentioned
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93441[/ATTACH]

Annz 08-07-2010 07:08 PM

I don't believe there is a right or wrong side. All is good.

distar2 08-07-2010 07:14 PM

as long as you use the same side through out it doesn't really matter if you are using the "right side" or the "wrong side". i was once told that all "true" hawaiian shirts were made using the wrong side of the fabric as the outside. there may be a slight difference in the two sides that you may not be able to see until they are used side by side so it's always best to try to stick with one side or the other all the way through. i just use a special kind of pin and pin that to the side that i am going to use as the right side of every piece so i can double check as i go.

IBQUILTIN 08-07-2010 11:13 PM

I don't think it matters, as long as you use the same side for all the work in a quilt. Sometimes if you switch one piece, it will have a different "shine" to it that shows

earthwalker 08-07-2010 11:17 PM

Sometimes taking it outside in natural light helps. But lots of good tips from everyone.

Gwyn 08-07-2010 11:45 PM

I avoid black fabric like the plague. I can't see anything when I work with it. Not if the edges are even, not even the stitches. If the fabric is yarn dyed, there really isn't a wrong side. If not, the back should have a slightly uneven gray tone to it since the ink wouldn't have covered the wrong side as well as the front side.

Kitsie 08-08-2010 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
Thanks for all the replies...I am new here and hate to ask "newbie" questions...but I have to start somewhere right?? I'm making a library quilt for a relative..black background..wood grain fabric for bookcase...and lots of fun fabrics for "books"

Ask away! That's why we're here. A lot of newbie questions are great reminders to more experienced quilters. As in, "Oh, yeah, always wondered that!"

Way I would look at it - if YOU can't tell probably no-one else could either!

Welcome!

ginnyk 08-08-2010 07:20 AM

Yes, please ask. Each question brings a whole bunch of answers from across multi-generational readers. We may have used the same technique for 40-50 years and now find there is a whole new way of thinking about it.

I love to work with black but find I have to do it in daylight. Even with an Ott light, I cannot be sure about how it will look.