Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bobbin problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbin-problem-t296973.html)

Lady Diana 05-18-2018 06:38 AM

Is your thread coming out of the take up lever? That can cause same issue. If so, thread take up lever from opposite side....sounds weird, but it works.

katesnanna 05-18-2018 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=Irishrose2;8059262]What machine? Clean the tension disks if you can access them. Is the needle threaded in the right direction. I have three machines in my family room. One threads from the left, one from the right and one from center. They will not sew if the needle is not threaded the correct direction.[/QUOTE

That must be confusing if you're not concentrating. All my machines are Janomes so all thread exactly the same.

katesnanna 05-18-2018 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca (Post 8059886)
Held my breath and tightened the tension screw on the bobbin casing ( a tad). Sewed a whole strip no breakage. Sure hope this is the answer, I'm so not into messing with bobbin tension.

When adjusting any tension only do a 1/4 turn at a time. Helps if you need to go back.

Rhonda K 05-19-2018 06:30 AM

Did you get the bobbin issues fixed? Are you stitching again? I'm with you and don't like changing tension settings either.

true4uca 05-19-2018 07:37 AM

Yes. Had to rip out one and it's no longer really easy, so that's good. Doing small (less than a tad) screw turns is the way to go.

Originally Posted by Rhonda K (Post 8060892)
Did you get the bobbin issues fixed? Are you stitching again? I'm with you and don't like changing tension settings either.

jokir44 05-19-2018 08:24 AM

I know what you mean about holding your breath when changing the bobbin case tension. All my life I have heard not to mess with that screw until all other avenues had been exhausted. Only once have I had to do it on a new machine and like you just a dab at a time. I was always afraid it would be like opening the gates of Hell but it worked.

Barb in Louisiana 05-19-2018 09:49 AM

Glad to hear you figured out an answer to your problem.

mindless 05-19-2018 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by jokir44 (Post 8060953)
I know what you mean about holding your breath when changing the bobbin case tension. All my life I have heard not to mess with that screw until all other avenues had been exhausted. Only once have I had to do it on a new machine and like you just a dab at a time. I was always afraid it would be like opening the gates of Hell but it worked.

This was me too. Did NOT want to mess with bobbin tension. ever.
But then, I decided I wanted to try 'bobbin work'. So I bought a second bobbin case. I put a pink stripe on it with fingernail polish, so I wouldn't mix them up.
Now I can use all kinds of decorative threads (different weights, different fibers, metalics, even yarns) & change the bobbin tension without fear.
My original bobbin case never gets adjusted. It is still factory set. (but I put a dot on it too, just in case I ever do have to adjust it). No more fear...yay! :)