Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bobbin Winders at WalMart (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbin-winders-walmart-t108919.html)

steelecg 03-20-2011 05:30 AM

I do like my sidewinder a lot - I find it very convenient and haven't had trouble using the bobbins on either my Pfaff or my Janome

Linda1 03-20-2011 05:46 AM

I use mine all the time and love it.

mhansen6 03-20-2011 05:48 AM

I bought one at JoAnne's and took it back. It didn't have the correct tension for my sewing machine. These computerized machines can be kind of sensitive.

Barbshobbies 03-20-2011 06:35 AM

I would like to check it out, but will have to do so at a quilt shop because I don`t go to wal-mart any more.

joyce888 03-20-2011 06:36 AM

Yes I bought the Sidewinder before I purchased my Pfaff. And now I can't use it because it doesn't work with Pfaff. Tried to return it (I had only had it a month) and couldn't because they had changed the box!

leaha 03-20-2011 06:46 AM

I gave my sidewinder to my sister, I use my spare little Pfaff to wind all my bobbins on. All my Pfaffs use the same bobbin so no problems there, I wind up about a doz. at a time of one color.

Marysewfun 03-20-2011 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms

Originally Posted by scowlkat

Another option is to consider purchasing some prewound bobbins, I use NEB, which are would more densely. I think I paid around $40 for a gross of bobbins.

(The dealer I use is Ken's Sewing in Muscle Shoals, AL. www.kenssewingcenter.com)

Ken's is where I buy my prewounds from and I love them! They are would so good and tight.

As to the Sidewinder, I just bought one and it's going back to Hancock's! I tried winding a bobbin with my Brother bobbin thread and I never did get it to wind !! Either the bobbin or the spool would just fly off!!

It's a great idea but needs more work on the design IMO.

I buy a lot of the pre-wounds (by the box) and love them - unfortunately my Pfaff doesn't like them but my two Brother machines love them! I have the Sidewinder but am not impressed with that - maybe I'll check out that tension adjustment mentioned on here. Even though I plug it into the wall, it seems "weak" on power, and is noisy!
Marysewfun

donnaleeq 03-20-2011 07:09 AM

I bought one, and found it did not work well when filling from a large spool of thread, and it also only half filled the bobbins. I finally sent it to a friend, to see if she liked it. She hasn't bother with it either. It was a complete waste of money. I have seen that they have improved it, but I won't bother again.

np3 03-20-2011 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
I'm surprised, Maia, a lot of us love them! Got one because machine winder died and for under $30.00 it is a real asset! Thought it wouldn't work with my new Pfaff Expressions bobbins but if I wind them with the bobbin upside down, it works very well. New "advanced" models are about $100, but the basic cheap model does a very good job for me - I wind 6-8 at a time, too.

I have a Pfaff and a Viking. When I purchased the Sidewinder, I didn't realize that it didn't work with either type of bobbin. I was having trouble with my bobbin winder on my Viking, so I tried turning the bobbin over in the Sidewinder and it worked like a charm! Much cheaper than a trip to the repair shop!!

sewmorethings 03-20-2011 07:25 AM

I don't have one but my sister does and she loves it. She hates to unthread the machine to wind a bobin and said in her opinion it is worth every penny she paid. They are not that expensive at walmart. I don't mind winding on my machine but do about 5 or 6 bobbins at one time.