Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Border near disaster (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/border-near-disaster-t307750.html)

Iceblossom 11-01-2019 05:42 AM

You go!

The thing is with our seams is that any mistake is double by virtue of being two pieces of fabric. The other thing is the number of repetitions. But to take away fullness in a border more than can be eased in, start by reseaming just a thread away from a current seam. Skip one repetition and do again. Check every seam to make sure when you have taken off enough -- even without vision issues you don't want to try and take out two seams right next to each other.

Again, I'd also stress that this indeed is an advanced border treatment. It is much easier to make the border fit correctly a bit larger than the top and make it fit with a coping strip.

Looking at it today, I'm agreeing with the others who say you just need one more narrow color band at the end of your border and then fitting it in.

I've tended to sew a bit scant and have to trim down my units periodically. But with my new machine, I'm being a bit fuller. Because of my vision issues I'm not doing things that require serious precision any more, but it is a noticeably thing and I'm having to relearn/adapt.

Grace creates 11-01-2019 05:56 AM

This is a really gorgeous quilt and the border will be gorgeous as well. I congratulate you on determination and you will get it to work. This does look like a tough border to add, everything throughout the whole quilt has to measure up perfectly, with no stretching of any sort. I think, this type of border would be easy to sketch out of graph paper for a quilt, but the actual sewing of it into a quilt probably requires some fudging, because any deviation from perfect will end up showing. As other's have said no one will notice, except you the adjustments you make and will be gorgeous.

luci4 11-01-2019 06:25 AM

Easiest fix may be to remake a few sections by over sizing them(width wise, not length), making sure that those pieces meeting at the corner are the right size.

trolleystation 11-01-2019 07:42 AM

Please be patient and stick with it. Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous.

nativetexan 11-01-2019 07:55 AM

I just wanted to say I Love your quilt. Stay with it and finish it as slowly as need be. It is beautiful!!

maviskw 11-02-2019 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 8321132)
I think Tartan is right. But to me, it looks like it just needs one strip of the redish border print. That brings the path of that print back to the corner

If you look at the loose end, there are two white pieces where there should be colored ones. The small white center square should be surrounded by color. Try replacing those two white pieces with colored pieces before tackling the length. I guess I would rip off that bottom border back to the other corner and then see if it can be "eased" onto the quilt. Or the quilt "eased" onto the border.

Rhonda K 11-02-2019 05:31 AM

Looks like maviskw found the problem.

I hope you are well on your way with the re-do. It's a beautiful quilt so far.