Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Borders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/borders-t83719.html)

mom-6 12-18-2010 04:48 PM

It depends on the quilt...some demand a plain border, some just binding and others a fancy border...

quiltsRfun 12-18-2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by morelcabin
OK...I won't lie...I do them cause they're the easist and quickest...:)

Same here. I'm working on a quilt right now that I had in mind a pieced border. But now I just want to get it finished so I'll probably settle for a plain one.

Vickymomof6 12-18-2010 05:08 PM

You know what, I used to think quilts NEEDED borders but I have decided I like quilts with the pattern all the way to the edge....... now I have to make one!
:D

JUNEC 12-18-2010 05:11 PM

I agree it depends on your quilt, if a plain border is right or not, however, that being said, I just purchased 2 quilt books that show how to do different borders.

IrishNY 12-18-2010 05:11 PM

I think of the border as the 'frame' for the quilt and prefer the thin and then wider plain borders. It pleases my eye.

And I have to agree with other posters - by the time I get to the border stage, I am ready to move on to the next project, so even if I preferred them, I probably wouldn't do anything fancy.

Jan in VA 12-18-2010 05:19 PM

I "almost" always use pieced borders, even if it's just something in each corner. Or a pieced block or design in the middle of each side Or sometimes just around the bend of one or opposite corners. To me the quilt is designed all the way to the edge; that includes borders. I also love the piano key effect.

Jan in VA

dunster 12-18-2010 08:08 PM

I love to play with different borders with EQ7. I very seldom do the standard thin inner border, wide outer border, but sometimes that looks really nice.

quilt-fanatic 12-19-2010 01:04 AM

I always have a border - maybe plain or fancy but I think it adds something to a finished quilt.

patricej 12-19-2010 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
By the time I get to the stage of needing borders, my mind is usually too fried to do more than a couple of plain borders.

amen to that! :lol:

i very much admire quilts with pieced or clever borders. so, hat's off to those with the patience and talent to use them. seriously and sincerely. :thumbup:

nevertheless, i must confess, i'm too often too lazy to do anything but a plain border. (imagine how lucky i feel when a plain border is the type best suited to whatever i'm making. it's a "yipeeee!" moment. :lol: )

deema 12-19-2010 02:49 AM

I think it depends on the quilt...some need a border, some don't. Some need more than just plain strips. Some have borders simply to make the quilt bigger...some don't because the quilt is big enough. I have nixed a border on a quilt because the quilt was big enough, even when I thought it "needed" a border, but I really didn't want it bigger. Sometimes I do two borders...sometimes one...sometimes more, or none. Depends on the quilt and the situation.

For the first time, I'm trying to incorporate something "extra" into borders for a quilt. I *need* to put borders on it to get the size I want, but I want to do something more with it. I may do a scrappy border...or maybe one with a few star blocks as corner stones (it's a little boy's alien quilt). I don't know yet...this one is a design as you go...lol