Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bow Tuck - nervous (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bow-tuck-nervous-t87814.html)

redpurselady 01-06-2011 06:53 AM

They are fun and not difficult - Just read your directions a couple of times before cutting. I've made about 6 of them and am always on the lookout for different fabric combinations I think will look good.

I like to quilt mine. I do a diagonal both ways on the outside and inside pieces, and use blue painter's tape as a guide for my lines.

Good luck - you will get hooked. Post a picture.

Camiyamoto 01-06-2011 07:04 AM

You can do it!! I just finished my first one. Take it slow and easy, read the instructions carefully, you'll be amazed how much fun it is!

quiltmom04 01-06-2011 07:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
My first question...do I have to quilt the fabric? Or can I use it as is?

Yes, you have to quilt it as instruct ed. Use a fusible fleece - it has more support than regular quilt batting. I also use "Shirt Tailor" too as extra support. You don't want the sides to fall down. Also, in the instructions, it tell you to sew the bottom of the front pocket and flip it up. That will work fine, but I sewed it IN the seam when you join the top and bottom. You'll have to move it out of the way when you quilt your fabric, but I liked the look better. I did my first one the way they say. I also added the accent strip (tan) that they don't call for, and the rings on the handles like my leather bag has. It's a fun place to practice FM quilting, becasue the area is not too big. It's hard to see, but I outlined the snowmen and stitched in big snowflakes.

mhansen6 01-06-2011 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
My first question...do I have to quilt the fabric? Or can I use it as is?

I have done both. I liked the quilted one better.

topper1 01-06-2011 07:49 AM

i was nervous too..........finally just jumped in..........marked each piece as I cut it.................with a, b, etc..............went slow...........did good in end,,,u will too :thumbup:

decky 01-06-2011 09:13 AM

I know what you are feeling right now. I'm having the same problem with making the spicy spiral. My fat quarters are sitting on my cutting board just waiting for me to cut, but I just look at them and then do something else.

stormatsea45 01-06-2011 10:30 AM

You can do it :!: When I got the pattern I was dissapointed in that it didn't have as many illistrations as I like. However, when I made the purse, with my daughter and neices, we did fine. The instructions are great. The lack of pictures aren't a problem. And the tute mentioned is great.

JAGSD 01-06-2011 10:34 AM

I ordered the pattern (both the reg. size and the mini) last week, am anxiously waiting for it to arrive. (I am not sure which size I want) so will be watching this thread hopefully it comes soon.

You can do it!

OraLee 01-06-2011 11:17 AM

I was so scared when I started my first Bow Tuck, but was quite surprised to see how easy i was. So go for it and have fun.

susie601 01-06-2011 12:13 PM

I too put it off. I read and re-read and looked at the tutorials and I finally did it and made 4 purses for Christmas. My girls all loved what I did. I quilted the bottom section of the fabric. The more I did, the better I got at putting them together. I think I would have like to have even quilted the liner. I think the fabric plays a part in whether to quilt or not. Go to the search box above and key in bow tucks. You will see lots of pictures and messages. Go to Ebay and key in bow tucks and you can see lots of purses for sale to give you fabric ideas. Colleen53 is not only here but on Ebay and she gave me inspiration. She also uses decorator fabrics. The skies the limit, so take a deep breath and go for it. You will be glad you did!

Susan