Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bummed about batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bummed-about-batting-t159852.html)

CircleSquare 10-15-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
I have never preshrunk my batting, as I never prewash anything, but, the last roll of batting I bought seeems to have a greater shrinkage. I nticed all my quilts after being washed before being given away/sold, are really wrinkly. After reading your story, I'm not too sure I would want to preshrink my batting. So my question is: Is there a batting out there that does not shrink after washing the completed quilt?

Battings that don't shrink at all are the poly battings. Anything with cotton or wool will shrink. I think bamboo and silk will also shrink.
But usually pre-shrinking does not shred up the batting. This was an unusual case.

AnnR 10-15-2011 10:24 AM

Hi Carol, I think you must have gotten a couple of defective batts. I always use Hobbs 80/20 batts, and I always soak in tepid water then spin the water out in the washer. I air dry in the dryer (no heat). I've not had any problems so far doing this. It would be worth a try either appealing to the store where you bought the batts for a refund or to Hobbs. You certainly should be reimbursed for what you spent.

Deborahlees 10-15-2011 10:35 AM

Has anyone used a Bamboo batting, quilted and then washed the quilt...did it shrink ?????

ccrow99 10-15-2011 06:28 PM

All really good info, thanks everyone.

Somerset Val 10-19-2011 06:22 AM

I wash mine in the bath, then spread it out on a spare bed over a waterproof sheet, covered with a cotton sheet, to dry. It comes out fine. I think I would be too fearful trying to do it in my washing machine!

mayday 10-21-2011 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by carol45
So I bought 2 king size Hobbs 80/20 batting and wanted to preshrink it. I soaked it in the washing machine according to the directions, drained it. I believe it was fine when I put it in the dryer. I fluffed it in the dryer and when it came out a lot of it was shredded. I wonder if any of it is useful--how do I know if the non shredded portions are uniform thickness? How do I know that they also haven't been weakened? Bummer.

always wash batting-except poly--in the bath ,towel dry and lay flat over dolly to dry.

Quilted Dogs 10-21-2011 10:10 AM

I agree with others here, call Hobbs for sure, they probably will give u what u loss and mayb even send extra....

carol45 10-21-2011 10:27 AM

Today I got 2 brand new king size battings from Hobbs. It's so nice to deal with a great company!

postal packin' mama 10-21-2011 10:34 AM

always wash batting-except poly--in the bath ,towel dry and lay flat over dolly to dry.
So does that prevent them from shrinking further when eventually washed?

HMK 10-21-2011 10:47 AM

I always preshrink my fabric and batting and have for many years. The last one I did was using Warm & White and followed the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. When I took it to a long arm quilter, she had problems quilting it and told me to never presoak my batting - it looked like the batting had been felted and I sure can't understand why. There's never been a problem before.