Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   But I don't Need It (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/but-i-dont-need-t28927.html)

littlehud 11-18-2009 06:50 PM

My husband bought me a shotgun for my birthday soon after we got married. I don't hunt, but he did. The first hunting season after the gift he wanted to use my gun. I told him " Oh no dear, that's my gun and I want to keep it pretty and new. " He learned fast. I never got a gift like that again. By the way, that gun is still like new and has never been used.

Pam G 11-18-2009 07:06 PM

Having been twice divorced and NEITHER husband was good at getting what I put on "a list", but I did learn with #2 that if he had a "toy" he wanted to say "I'll let you pick out my sewing machine when you let me pick out your shop tools". Kinda like when he sends you to the hardware store to get something and you return home with the wrong item or you send him to the grocery store for whipping cream and he comes home with coolwhip, close but NOT the same especially when needed for a SOUP recipe...

thismomquilts 11-18-2009 07:31 PM

I don't want to make anyone think my husband is not the best in the world - he is - he just does not listen to what I want for gifts :( - - - he is all for my sewing/quilting/crafts... just needs to listen better... he and I have an agreement - no flowers - I love flowers but would rather our hard earned money be spent on something else. But not the doorknob (I kid you not!!) he bought me one year for Christmas!! :) Gotta' love him.

TX_Cutie 11-18-2009 10:13 PM

Give him a big kiss for being thoughtful and then ask if he kept the receipt. :D

TX_Cutie 11-18-2009 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
My husband bought me a shotgun for my birthday soon after we got married. I don't hunt, but he did. The first hunting season after the gift he wanted to use my gun. I told him " Oh no dear, that's my gun and I want to keep it pretty and new. " He learned fast. I never got a gift like that again. By the way, that gun is still like new and has never been used.

That's fantastic!

MadQuilter 11-18-2009 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by thismomquilts
I don't want to make anyone think my husband is not the best in the world - he is - he just does not listen to what I want for gifts :( - - - he is all for my sewing/quilting/crafts... just needs to listen better... he and I have an agreement - no flowers - I love flowers but would rather our hard earned money be spent on something else. But not the doorknob (I kid you not!!) he bought me one year for Christmas!! :) Gotta' love him.

Were you in the middle of a reno-project? I get what you say about the best husband in the world missing the mark. We pretty much did away with gifts due to similar issues. He still manages to surprise me from time to time though, so don't give up on yours. THEY ARE TRAINABLE!

Quilt4u 11-19-2009 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by thismomquilts
My dear, dear husband NEVER listens to me when I say what I want or don't want - I ALWAYS tell him to not buy me jewelry - what did I get for my birthday? A necklace - beautiful but it cost enough to pay for half the machine I'd really like to have... or would've bought yards of fabric. Wonder why they don't listen... I'd rather he not ask if he's not going to listen.

Same here with my DH.Or any family member for that matter.

quiltwoman 11-19-2009 03:35 AM

Are you sure he didn't buy it already? My dh is famous for that tactic.

I think the list is a great idea. Hope you get what you really want!

reginalovesfabric 11-19-2009 11:03 AM

keep it, I have 11 sewing machines most of them are antiques. Last Saturday I cooked a birthday dinner for my brother soon it will be my birthday and I told him I want him to cook me a Hancock Fabric gift card.
I hope he doesn't burnt it. HA
He also bought me for Christmas last year an antique 1908 Industrial Singer sewing machine which runs on a 220 so I have it for a conversational piece.

Regina

lacikat 11-19-2009 11:15 AM

I bought a Brother at Walmart for a backup machine to haul places as my
Viking is so heavy and I didn't want to have something happen to it either.
I'm sure glad my Brother is only a backup because I don't enjoy using it.