Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying fabric, I am soooo confused. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-fabric-i-am-soooo-confused-t110129.html)

reeskylr 03-24-2011 10:00 AM

Sign up for email from Jo-Ann's, they always have 40 or 50 percent off coupons when they send their sales mail.

When I go into Jo-Ann's I always go to their 50 percent off bin too. I've got some great bargains from that. I also like buying a yard of fabric, but I buy fat quarters too. I've never purchased any of the jelly rolls, cakes, etc. They are just too expensive for my budget. I can cut strips if I need too!

milp04 03-24-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by cattailsquilts
I worked for a quilt/decorator fabric shop when I started quilting (it's where I got bit by the bug, actually). I bought yardage when I had a specific project, and bought out of our 1/4 yd scrap bins when something caught my eye. Now I have a ton of 1/4 yd pieces that I don't know what to do with!!

I'd either buy for patterns or buy in minimum of 1 yd cuts, if you're looking to build a useable stash.

Use the 1/4 yard pieces for making scrappy quilts. There are a ton of ideas. I let the fabric colors help decide what I use.

Pam M

Olivia's Grammy 03-24-2011 11:25 AM

I buy yardage, one yard or more and cut what ever size I need. I feel like I have less waste that way.

Kayaker26 03-24-2011 11:28 AM

I bought a quilt kit for my first...then went from there! I started with a lap quilt and it is still my favorite size! Which ever way you go just remember have fun and it is not life or death just create.

BettyGee 03-24-2011 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
all of the above, it's addicting the old saying goes "whoever dies with the most fabric wins" and I'm in the ruuning

And I'm right behind you all the way.

Olivia's Grammy 03-24-2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by BettyGee

all of the above, it's addicting the old saying goes "whoever dies with the most fabric wins" and I'm in the ruuning

I thought I was winning. :lol:

acjacques 03-24-2011 02:33 PM

Most magazines give the amount of fabric to use on the quilts they publish. You can use this as a guide. Or start with a kit which already has the required fabric for the quilt top, the instructions usually include the amount of yardage needed for the backing and binding.

sylvia77 03-24-2011 02:50 PM

Those 1/4 yd pieces would be great for applique, just a thought.

Scakes 03-24-2011 03:20 PM

I tend to buy yardage - just in case something happens I guess. If it is for a specific project and I only need a small amount, I have been known to buy a half yard. I've never been very fond of the fat eighths or fat quarters - not sure why. Just my way of being peculiar maybe. With 4 daughters, I often find myself making duplicates for the holidays and F8s and FQs don't stretch too far.

grumpy90650 03-24-2011 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy

Originally Posted by BettyGee

I thought I was winning. :lol:

oh drats....i need to do more shopping.....the race is on!!!!