Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying fabric, I am soooo confused. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-fabric-i-am-soooo-confused-t110129.html)

GramaLaura 03-24-2011 06:11 PM

Ok.....when I look for fabric and LOVE it, I buy 4 yards. If I really like it I buy 3 yards and if I just like it 1 yard will do me. Pick a pattern and always buy more than you need just in case you make a mistake. Relax.....have fun with it :-D

Dee 03-24-2011 07:16 PM

I usually buy only yardage. Works out better for me.

donnalynett 03-24-2011 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
all of the above, it's addicting the old saying goes "whoever dies with the most fabric wins" and I'm in the ruuning

My husband bought me a coffee mug with that saying on it! He says I have enough fabric and I say you can never have enough. I always buy fabric by the yard and sometimes if the sale is good, I have been known to buy several bolts at a time.

Olivia's Grammy 03-25-2011 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by grumpy90650

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy

Originally Posted by BettyGee

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
all of the above, it's addicting the old saying goes "whoever dies with the most fabric wins" and I'm in the ruuning

And I'm right behind you all the way.

I thought I was winning. :lol:

oh drats....i need to do more shopping.....the race is on!!!!

You're getting way behind. I bought some fabric today by the pound. :lol:

Jill 03-26-2011 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by grayma
This is just my opinion, but I also purchase a little more than the pattern requires, just in case you make an error in cutting. Better to have too much then to discover your favorite fabric is out of stock in the middle of sewing your project.

This is GREAT advice to follow. I've been quilting for nine years and there have been way too many times when I made a mistake and couldn't find the fabric in my LQS or online. And even though I really, really like scrappy quilts there are times when I want everything to look matched.

NanaInVirginia 03-26-2011 06:19 AM

When I first started sewing/quilting I bought only by the yard. I also shopped at Walmart <gasp>. My logic was that since it wouldn't be my best work, why spend the dollars to get the best fabrics.

Regardless of where you choose to shop, pick your pattern first as the other members are advising. You can get FQs and 2.5" strips out of yardage, but you can't get yardage out of FQs and strips.

One of my favorite strip quilt pattens is called Strip Search by GE Designs. It takes one Balipop, Jellyroll, etc to make a throw size and there are no points or corners to have to match. It is a great quilt for a beginner.

I sometimes feel like I have a hard time picking out matching or coordinating colors so strip sets takes the headache out of picking fabrics. Lots of strip patterns are also quick quilts to assemble.

Welcome to my addiction, lol. Happy Quilting!

Brenda 03-27-2011 06:01 AM

I would suggesst buying a kit. It will have the pattern
and the fabric. Brenda from Wadesville In