Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can a non quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-non-quilter-t77486.html)

CindyinNY 11-19-2010 10:04 PM

I have asked questions and everyone has been so nice about answering them but it gets embarrassing after being told and still not understanding.

What has me upset is that I want to make a baby quilt and I saw one on here and sent her a PM. She was so nice about it. In two emails she has told me how to do it and I still don't get it. It doesn't look complicated but I just don't understand the cutting measurements. It's very frustrating, I'm not really dumb, maybe just a little thick in the head.

CindyinNY 11-19-2010 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
(And I'd love to be your fairy quiltmother.)

I just may take you up on that!! I really do want to learn to quilt.

Now it's your turn to think about running! ;-)

jemma 11-19-2010 10:24 PM

keep at it--invest in a couple of rulers-----------i have trouble with math-------took me ages to work out--if you cut 6 1/2inch squares and sew them together you end up with a 6 inch block all seams are 1/4 inch-- go do that with spare fabric ---you will see --- do 4 squares in a square shape=12x12 you then have a mini quilt--graph paper saved me many times

CindyinNY 11-19-2010 10:28 PM

[quote=jemmaiif you cut 6 1/2inch squares and sew them together you end up with a 6 inch block all seams are 1/4 inch-- [/quote]

BINGO!!
jemma You hit it right on the head!!!

That is exactly what I'm talking about!! The pattern I wanted to try says just that!! Are you physic???????????? lol

greensleeves 11-19-2010 10:29 PM

Why not start by just sewing same size blocks together. Buy a couple of charm packs from the quilt store. They are 5" squares ready to go and the colors in a pack all go together. You usually get about 40 squares to a pack. Start with simple and work from there. Sew about 8 of the squares together to make a long row, then make 8 or 9 of those rows. Sew one row onto the next and you'll have a nice size baby quilt. If you want to do borders, they are easy to add, just come back and ask. By that time I bet you can figure out what to do next. After your first project it gets easier. You sound as if you really want to learn and that is the first big step.

sharon b 11-19-2010 10:35 PM

Cindy the thing to remember is there are many ways to say the same thing- it is just a matter of finding the one that you understand :wink: Ask all your questions - and many times you will get different answers that all mean the same thing :lol: Don't give up yet - and I hate patterns also :thumbup:

Rhonda 11-19-2010 10:37 PM

One tip I like to pass along is you can practice a new technique using plain old copy paper instead of fabric. You can sew it and iron it just like fabric. It is cheap for practicing sewing a seam or for cutting out squares and practicing joining two squares together. I use it to decide what size I need for something. I can cut out several 3" squares and sew them together to see how big my row will be and if it isn't the size I wanted I am not out anything, I can cut more squares and try again til I get it right.

You will find many that are happy to help. If I can help walk you through steps just let me know! Maybe you are like me and need to see the steps to understand them.

kwhite 11-19-2010 10:47 PM

welcome. Check out videos. Then you can see what is being talked about. Me I couldn't learn to chew gum from a book. I have to see it.

Sadiemae 11-19-2010 11:00 PM

I am home alone most of the time. I would be more than happy to help you with anything I can. I miss being able to teach and I would love to help. You can pm me anytime and I will try to help all I can. I do sleep in, because of my problems with insomnia, but I promise to answer as soon as I can if you are interested.

jitkaau 11-20-2010 12:51 AM

Best way to learn is to have a go and ask questions.