Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cleaning your machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cleaning-your-machines-t34528.html)

quiltingfan 01-21-2010 06:28 AM

Wow, these are things I have never even thought of. I do clean the bobbin area during and after a project, because I usually end up having a big clog with the bobbin thread. I do not think I have ever replaced a needle unless it broke. I will start to change them more often now. Thanks everybody for the great advice.

nitakhoops 01-21-2010 09:49 AM

My machine is 45 yo. It gets cleaned when the fuzz starts accumulating and the thread starts to tangle!
I do try and oil it every few quilts that I make. :lol:

Quiltmaniac 01-21-2010 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer

Originally Posted by jojo47
On these newer machines, they tell you NOT to oil. I can't even find an oil hole on my Pfaff. On my mom's Golden Touch and Sew that I inherited, yes, I can.

Boy I am glad to hear you say that. I bought a Pfaff not too long ago and I clean the bobbin area, but I never could find any place to oil it. Kept looking through the instructions to see if I was missing it. I took it in today because I thought it needed a good look through. I am just used to cleaning and oiling my old Kenmore I guess.

When I purchased my Pfaff, my dealer told me to oil just the bobbin area - turn the hand wheel slowly and place a drop of oil where the "hook-thingy" meets the rest of the apparatus.

I have heard that you should [u]never[u] try to open up a computerized machine. It could upset the software inside, and involve costly repairs in the end.

sylvia77 01-21-2010 10:37 AM

I clean mine after every project and clean the bobbincase every time I have to put in a new bobbin. I bought one of those vaccums and I wasn't impressed with it. It didn't really get all the dust out. I take mine in every year and have it professionally serviced.

watsernam 01-21-2010 12:34 PM

i would like to know if anyone knows of an internet sewing machine repair class or better yet a school in the Colorado Springs area. I wonder where all the sewing machine repair people get instructions.

Olivia's Grammy 01-21-2010 01:14 PM

I thought about cleaning my machine completely. I was told that machines can get out of timing and every brand of machine requires a different timing tool. I know only to well about the timing problem. My HQ got out of timing and it took 6 weeks to get it fixed.

KittyGram 01-21-2010 01:35 PM

I clean it quite often. A lot more often than 3 months!!! Probably once a month, unless it needs it sooner. I do need to get it in for a professional cleaning, though.

patsyo56721 01-21-2010 01:59 PM

I would like to know about the vac you use for your machine.

patsyo56721 01-21-2010 02:00 PM

I have been told that sewing over pins can cause the timing to mess up.

gloria farmer 01-21-2010 02:34 PM

I clean my machine every time I finish a big project and then I change the neddle and about every 6 month I oil and give it a good cleaning. I took a class on how to clean my featherweath and once a year I take it to have clean.