Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cleaning your machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cleaning-your-machines-t34528.html)

Kaye 01-21-2010 02:49 PM

What type of brush does everyone use? My poor old brush that came with my machine has worked overtime and needs to be replaced!
Kaye

Campbell34 01-21-2010 03:30 PM

I clean my machine after every bobbin change and oil it , My machine has a much larger bobbin and a thread cutter, brand new 830.My older 930 from many years ago has never been cleaned in a shop, runs perfect still, I have done many years of sewing on it, but I make sure it is clean after every bobbin change, this helps me to remember when I cleaned it last , also put 1 drop if oil on the bobbin area, not on the bobbin itself, I have not always had a shop to take it to so I do it myself,Q tips and small brush works wonders I use and old electric razor brush works great According to my new dealer , I will take it in for a cleaning every year, so next year I will go to Flagstaff for an overnight stay and get it cleaned

Aurora 01-21-2010 05:33 PM

I also have a Viking, and when I was using it all the time, I just cleaned the lint out and kept my area clean. If I did not use it for an extended period of time, I found that it just didn't work right and I would take it in to have it cleaned good and serviced, but it the cost was about $69.95. I just tried to use it after 7 years packed away and it only sews in reverse. I took it and my Feather-weight to be cleaned and checked. I have had my Viking for 33+ years and I miss it.

Someone in my quilting group said they were told not to use canned air because it can damage the electronics in the new machines.

zkosh 01-21-2010 05:38 PM

My dealer said the Pfaff 2144 is one of the machines that you do not oil. I recommend that you ask a dealer whether your specific sewing machine requires oiling or not. :wink:

gloria farmer 01-21-2010 06:32 PM

I found a brush at HomeDepot, that has lasted for about 3years.

Sandra Craig 01-21-2010 06:33 PM

I clean my machines about every 2nd project or sooner if the machine is not responding well. I use a small art paint brush and pipe cleaners and put 1 drop of oil in the bobbin area

Tiffany 01-21-2010 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by patsyo56721
I have been told that sewing over pins can cause the timing to mess up.

Yep. I've also heard horror stories of where the needle broke and a piece went into the machine and actually wrecked the machine. I wouldn't have believed it, but I know the gal who told the story and I trust her. So now I make sure to remove the pins before I sew over them, or at least I do 99% of the time.

sylvia77 01-22-2010 01:50 PM

My Viking Designer SE doesn't require oiling but it needs to be cleaned professionally every year.

sylvia77 01-22-2010 01:51 PM

I can see that happening with the broken needle. If a large enough piece jams the gears inside, it wouldn't be good news!

Suse 01-22-2010 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Aurora
the cost was about $69.95.

I wish I only paid $69, I need to pay $150 to have mine serviced and cleaned.