Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cleaning your machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cleaning-your-machines-t34528.html)

sylvia77 01-22-2010 06:48 PM

I wish I only paid $150, my last cleaning cost me $245! I about fell to the floor and now it's back in the shop again, this time my computer board went out. Luckily (I guess) the board is covered by warranty but I dread what the labor will be.

grocifer 01-23-2010 01:10 PM

I have a Viking 1+ and always clean the bobbin area before a big project or every month or so. If you google Jan Hennings site "Sew
Much for Retirement" she has some great tutorials for the Vikings. I printed out her instructions and always make sure I get the four screws back in place and indented properly. I also apply two drops of TriFlow on a Q-tip and wipe it over the area before screwing the plate back on.

Stitchnripper 01-24-2010 07:08 AM

I was just reading the manual for my old singer 327 and it talks about lubricant vs. oil and where to put each one. I've always had this one serviced (never a problem, just service) every few years whether I use it or not, and it seems always to run fine. I've had it since 1965 and it has moved lots of times with me. I ought to try sewing with it now, since I haven't used it since the Brother XR-52 showed up on my doorstep!

Riversong 01-24-2010 07:19 AM

I clean my machines often and keep them maintained. It is not dificult to take out a few screws and take the backs off and give them a good cleaning.I am too frugal to pay some guy to do something I can do myself..LOL!

gloria farmer 01-24-2010 09:00 AM

a lot of time we as quilters do a better job at cleaning our machines then the man that we take them, and it ok to do it yourself after all you have to save as much money as you can, this way you have more money to spend on fabric.
:D

sylvia77 01-24-2010 05:32 PM

I need to start doing that! I'm just scared I'll mess up the computer parts in there.

gloria farmer 01-24-2010 09:04 PM

if you have any questions just ask me I have a small attament for my vaccum and it works great, it suck all the lint from the bottom of the sewing machine.

sylvia77 01-24-2010 09:07 PM

Gloria Farmer, I had one of those mini vaccums and it didn't work too well for me.

skjquiltnut 01-25-2010 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Everytime i finish a quilt, i clean her all down, and change the needle.And she gets a drop of oil in the wick.

..the bobbin area is done everytime i have to change the bobbin..

i have a tiny vac for sewing machines and computers..
I have the Janome 6600p

sorry, but what do you mean " ...in the wick?" also could someone define " clean the machine?" thanks so much

skjquiltnut 01-25-2010 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I was lucky to work with an ex industrial sewing machine maint. tech. I would bring him my machines and he would show me how to get the housing off and where to clean, where to oil, how to fix the clutch for the bobbin winder, and how to set the timing. I haven't had to use a machine repairman in years. I did let one shop order a new part for one of my machines and found out later when I cleaned it a used part was put in but I was charged for a new one. It makes me wonder how many repairs are made this way.

Wow! is there any way you could help the rest of us learn to do this as well?