Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   clothing catalog in my quilting magazine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/clothing-catalog-my-quilting-magazine-t60252.html)

Janetlmt 08-20-2010 03:37 AM

I think I have had other issues of F and P with the same ads in it. I opened this newest issue and the magazine flopped open to the clothing insert..and along with it a renewal request. I am not renewing it either. Have you noticed to that they are one of two magazines that are wrapped in plastic on the magazine rack? I like to at least peek inside to see if the magazine is of interest to me. From now my money goes to more books and tools. Of course, FABRIC !

Peace and blessings,

akrogirl 08-20-2010 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
Have you noticed to that they are one of two magazines that are wrapped in plastic on the magazine rack? I like to at least peek inside to see if the magazine is of interest to me.

I hate it when magazines do that, and it always seems to be the more expensive ones that do it. I had that same problem with some of the needlepoint/cross-stitch magazines. At least put pictures of the projects on the cover so I can see if they are something I want to do.

JenniePenny 08-20-2010 05:05 AM

I wasn't happy about it myself. I don't want any other catalogs in my quilting magazines that I pay for.

JANW 08-20-2010 05:09 AM

I sent their customer service the same message I expressed here and I would encourage all to do the same. In my experience, and I'm sure many of yours too, if they hear it it's possible they may change their ways.

MamaHen 08-20-2010 05:26 AM

I didn't renew mine either. Too much other STUFF not enough GOOD quilting ideas and tips. Was very disappointed in F&P mag.

Hinterland 08-20-2010 05:36 AM

They're probably not making much money on the advertising. This is a tough economy for print advertisers.

I don't mind the ads for quilting things - I usually look at the quilts, then go through again looking at the ads. But I don't care for ads that aren't related to the quilting content....such as it is. I won't be renewing F & P because the quilting content just isn't that good. There's nothing to look at.

nativetexan 08-20-2010 06:09 AM

most irritating. i have to pull that section out!!!

Twilliebee 08-20-2010 06:20 AM

I've never been really impressed with the Fons and Porter magazine, and since they started wrapping them in plastic I've decided I'll won't be buying at all in future. I like to see what I'm buying and that's a marketing ploy that I really dislike.

martha jo 08-20-2010 06:36 AM

I renewed for two years some time ago but definitely won't renew unless they drastically change. I don't want the ads from other things in my quilt magazine.

dforesee 08-20-2010 06:40 AM

Another thing about Fons and Porter that bothers me is that whenever Joann's has a sale with all quilting notions at 50% off, the F&P notions are excluded. I can't think why that would be unless they are having to pay so much for the products wholesale that they can't afford to mark them down without losing money.