Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Color/width of binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/color-width-binding-t21018.html)

peel 06-11-2009 05:53 AM

i'm with ninnie, and I usually make binding with fabric from outer most boarder.

peel

canuckninepatch 06-11-2009 05:56 AM

I think your idea of using black as a binding is an excellent one. The quilt is so adorable, the black binding would keep your focus on the cute cars. I use 2 1/2" strips WOF for binding, which I fold in half lengthwise and press. Then I do a 1/4" seam to attach the binding onto the front of the quilt, and fold over the binding to the back. That way you have a nice finished folded edge to blind stitch to the stitched seam on the back. I use this for all my quilts, and find it's a lovely neat finish.

dlf0122quilting 06-11-2009 06:09 AM

I cut my binding strips 2-1/2", iron it double, wrong sides together, sew it to the front of the quilt and turn to the back and hand stitch down. If you only cut your strips 1-1/2" it will not reach up and over your border edges.
Good luck.
You might test run a red for the binding.

Covered in Threads 06-11-2009 07:00 AM

Great Quilt. My grandson loves "Cars" too! and when I did a quilt similar to yours for him I did tne 2.5 binding in a black and white check pattern to make it look like the flag used at the finished line. You have lots of options but rest assured it will be loved. :D

Linsoblu 06-11-2009 07:47 AM

I'd go with a red or blue binding to give it some pop!!! I like a 2.5 inche binding fold over

wraez 06-11-2009 11:10 AM

OMG that is a delightful quilt! Any kid would love it, even the girls...I know my granddaughter would.

Yes, black binding is probably best but I think it would be cute no matter what....even if you used yellow, red, blue and black scraps to make a colorful binding would look cute. but you could audition it to be sure. I still think black would be best.

warm quilt hugs, sue

Donna Hall 06-11-2009 01:56 PM

I think the black binding would be fine. I cut my binding 2 1/4 inches. Then fold in half and press. Donna

AnnaK 06-11-2009 04:32 PM

Love your quilt. I have a couple of CARS fans in my grandsons too! Colorful binding is a cute idea. I always cut my binding between 2 1/4 for a thin batt (wallhanging) to 2 1/2 for loftier batt. Any smaller makes it too hard to apply and looks too skinchee (made up word).

JCL in FL 06-11-2009 04:34 PM

JAMIE, THERE IS A GREAT TUTORIAL ON BINDING BY SHARON SCHAMBER. I'VE QUILTED FOR YEARS AND DID A SIMILAR METHOD BUT MY RESULTS SOMETIMES VARIED. HER METHOD MAKES IT EASY.GOOGLE HER SITE AND YOU'LL KNOW HOW TO MAKE AND APPLY BINDING

GailG 06-11-2009 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by rosemary128
Just a very simple quilt for my son who is obsessed with the movie Cars, but since I haven't completed many quilts, I thought I would ask all of you for your advice. I think the best color for the binding would probably be black - but what are your suggestions? Also, what width of fabric do you prefer to cut for your bindings? I've heard a lot about 1.5" if it is sewn to the front and blind-stitched to the back (which is what I'll likely do).

Thanks in advance for your wisdom! :)

Love it!! Looks just like a movie reel. Someone's idea (Ninnie's?) of the dots is nifty.

I also use 2 and 1/2 inches and press in half. Sew a 1/4 inch seam. Sometimes for a little wider binding, I use 2 3/4 for the strip. Seam 3/8"

Love the "Cars."