Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which comes first...the fabrics or the pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/comes-first-fabrics-pattern-t139914.html)

babyquiltlady 07-24-2011 10:14 AM

Always the pattern. I choose my design. Look into the stash and if I can't find what fit my fancy. Off I head to my favorite fabric places.

Rn8or 07-24-2011 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by babyquiltlady
Always the pattern. I choose my design. Look into the stash and if I can't find what fit my fancy. Off I head to my favorite fabric places.

I think I will dive right into this head first. I am bugging myself with indecisiveness. I will pick a pattern then the bundle to use. Or I will post picks of my fabric choices and ask for pattern suggestions...

bigsister63 07-24-2011 11:46 AM

I try to only buy fabric to go with a pattern. That way I get only correct amount neede for that pattern. And then I put pattern with fabric in a plastic box and try to mark pattern or paper which fabric is to be used where. It is very easy to get confused and forget which pattern or where the fabric is to be used. I try not to buy fabric for which I do not know which patterns since I can not afford to have too big of a stash. That said- I do have fabric with pattern for about 10 quilts for myself! New pattern means new fabric!

Butterflyspain 07-24-2011 11:49 AM

Why donīt you go through your stash and put it in colour batches. This way when you choose your pattern its not such a huge pile to go through each time you want a colour.
Just a thought, hope it helps.

Me well, its usually the pattern first and then I decide on my colours.

Elle

Granny Quilter 07-24-2011 11:51 AM

Sometimes the fabric and sometimes the pattern. You see one you just have to make or you see, (or are given) fabric that you just know what to do with.

Xstitshmom 07-24-2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter
Sometimes the fabric and sometimes the pattern. You see one you just have to make or you see, (or are given) fabric that you just know what to do with.

This is what I do.

plainpat 07-25-2011 03:03 AM

I see you aren't "in hiding" anymore. That's what you do....learn as you do.
I often see a pic of a quilt that looks like one I'd like to make.Of course,there's already one half done & can't let myself start a 2nd till 1st is done....that's just me....or I'd have a dozen in line.
The fun is checking stash & making a note of what I'll need before I can make it.
BTW...if you're making a scrappy quilt,anything goes as to color/pattern.
Don't worry about it.....just find a pattern that speaks to you/your ability & away you go!

PS check some sites like Quilter's Cache.......Google quilter's blogs Have fun.

gaevren 07-25-2011 03:07 AM

Personally, I prefer to start with the pattern, that way I know exactly how much fabric I need (although I always buy extra just in case).

If I absolutely fall in love with a fabric I'll usually buy the whole bolt, but that's usually when I'm shopping for clothing fabrics!

Dolphyngyrl 07-25-2011 03:34 AM

I only buy fabrics with a pattern in mind

helou 07-25-2011 03:40 AM

I can relate to your question... too many nice options with patterns and with beautiful fabrics... I have not finished piecing my first "real" size quilt and I am trying to figure out what I will be doing next with all the nice fabrics that I started collecting. So.... this information given here will help me also loll