Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which comes first...the fabrics or the pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/comes-first-fabrics-pattern-t139914.html)

Edie 07-25-2011 04:00 AM

While I am in the throes of making one quilt, I have in the back of my mind the next one - that being a quilt for our next door neighbor. Have already decided that it is going to be a sampler, have already picked out and printed up the designs and while I am doing this I am thinking what colors, hopefully choosing colors that match with her living room (it's going to be a coverlet for a cold winter's night). So I guess it would be the pattern. However, I picked out the fabric for our Anniversary quilt (50th) first. So, I guess it is a horse a piece. Depending on that precise moment when the words "another quilt" comes into mind.

That's what makes it all so much fun!!!!!! I don't like to have to do this or that, I like it all to just flow from the heart and Devil take the high road!!!!!! Oh, don't get me wrong totally - I do plan on things I have to do but that keeps me attuned to where I am and possibly why I am here.

It really doesn't matter, does it? Edie

gigi10 07-25-2011 05:04 AM

It is only fabric not arms and legs. Have some fun. I like to audition fabric to go with each other. I have 2 pieces, lets say, I am captured by them. So they lay on the floor, I am going through my other neatly folded ones and as I find a possible, I throw it on the floor. I am not so close that I cannot see another really good one. I am not locked into, "this was bought together to make this". I can explore more options. I live the creative process. Happy Quilting.

gigi10 07-25-2011 05:07 AM

sorry about the double post

Butterflyspain 07-25-2011 05:25 AM

No problem Gigi, I have sorted it for you.

Elle

BarbaraSue 07-25-2011 05:48 AM

some fabrics are destined to be in a certain quilt when I get them, others I just love and know I will use. When that pattern shows itself--and I may actually see this pattern many times before it speaks up--I know which fabric is the highlighted fabric that will determine the colors of the others in the quilt.
There are no rules and any fabric can be in any pattern if that is what You want to make. Go for it!

mdollar 07-25-2011 06:20 AM

Usually the pattern for me. I see something I like and then I work the fabric colors around it. I don't have enough stash yet to try to work something out with what I have. I don't have enough to complete anything from the stash I have.

Lindsey 07-25-2011 06:22 AM

Why is it we get such a rush when we buy fabric? I feel the same as you do. I just love to sit and feel it. Ah what is that commercial? The touch the feel of cotton. the fabric of our lives..

MadQuilter 07-25-2011 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rn8or
But when you want to use the fabrics how do you choose the "right" pattern? I am getting overwhelmed by the choices.

I don't think there is "one" right pattern.

Sometimes, I start with the pattern and then I decide on a color line. From there I audition what goes together in my mind. It could help if you took a black and white photocopy of the pattern. That way you are not tied to THEIR color choices but instead work only with color value.

Sometimes, I start with the fabric and it tells me very loudly WHAT it wants to be or who the recipient should be. Then I go from there and add companion fabric as needed.

Rann 07-25-2011 06:44 AM

If I ever get everything for a quilt together, I put it in its own plastic box. I have found ones that will hold all the fabric and the pattern and will hold the squares when I start on them. I put the pattern on the top so I can see what the box is for.

grammy17 07-25-2011 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
Which one calls out to be used in a quilt! I call it my inspritation fabric and pull colors from there.

Me too. some shout and some whisper.