Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Compact Portable Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/compact-portable-sewing-machine-t89757.html)

quiltnutt 01-13-2011 07:49 PM

I have the Babylock Audrey. It weighs 12 pounds and has all the stitches, feed dogs drop and the stitches can be adjusted.
Great little machine.

okie quilter 01-13-2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by toniraemoore
I am looking for a superlight sewing machine to tote around to my quilt classes and bees and relatives and vacations. Does anyone have any recommendations?

singer has a new featherweight...it was on hsn the other day. i prefer the bernina bernette. lightweight and is not electronic and purrs like a kitten. let us know what you get. the bernette is very affordable here at the ardmore creative sewing center. ask for emmy... tell her johnnye referred her and she will make you a great price.

\

lclang 01-13-2011 07:56 PM

Elna Grasshopper. Skip the case. It is the havy part. Those little machines run so quiet you'll wonder if it is working. Also like the Featherweight.

linhawk 01-13-2011 08:08 PM

I have the Janome Jem Platinum.
I like the needle up/down and has quite a few decoritive stitches.

Marilynsue 01-13-2011 08:30 PM

I bought a Bernette to take to retreats and classes. It was only $149. and weighs about 12 lbs. Great little machine. :wink:

hapytlk 01-13-2011 08:52 PM

Janome..our group has the silver and some have the gold. I don't know the name of the most recent one..but they are great little machines..truly good ones. Mine came with a walking foot and several other feet AND a plexiglass quilting table. It was under $300 when I got it and it has many many 'miles' on it and works great. Only replaced the light in it so far!

Featherweights are light however..they can be pricey..but very durable..straight stitch only.

libber 01-13-2011 09:10 PM

I just bought a 222 free-arm featherweight after doing alot of research. I am just starting to learn quilting after a 25 year hiatus from sewing because of my career.
I can't speak to other brands, I grew up and still have a Singer 201, birthday 1946. Sewing machines just aren't made like they used to be, when it comes to quality and machining. I did not buy it for zig-zag, nor software programs, nor embroidery. I bought it because it is such a work horse, 'It take's a lickn' but keeps on ticking as TimeEx used to say.
Get yourself a copy of Nancy Johnson-Srebro 3rd edition of Featherweight 221 ( and 222), The Perfect Portable and Its Stitches Across History. Happy Hunting, try Singer Original Vintage Products website. Libber

lalaland 01-13-2011 09:29 PM

I have a Janome Gem too. It replaced my good 'ole dependable Brother Electronic that just got too darn heavy - or I'm just getting too darn old!

eb in calif 01-13-2011 11:17 PM

the singer 301A can usually be found much cheaper than the featherweight and has more options than the featherweight and although a little heavier is a full size machine

Betty J 01-13-2011 11:23 PM

I have the Janome Jem as well. I love this lightweight machine for taking to quilting days. Find no difference when finishing a project on my Janome MC6500.