Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Complimenting blocks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/complimenting-blocks-t220224.html)

judi wess 04-30-2013 04:34 AM

My favorite two block combo is Jack in the Pulpit and snoball. This make a really good looking grid pattern. The jack in the pulpit pattern is a very old pattern.

BuzzinBumble 04-30-2013 06:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sounds like a really fun challenge rootyr. Quilt block combos with secondary surprises are my favorite - especially when they use two blocks. I can't wait to look up all the suggestions you've gotten here.

I hope when you all present your challenge quilts that you can share some of your favorite results on the QB with all of us!

It just so happens that a couple of weeks back I ran across one combo while fooling around with EQ7 and my hubby asked me to make it into a lap quilt for him.
It combines Goose in the Pond with Fifty four-forty or Fight. You get a really nice secondary circle formed. Here's a mock up so you can see what I mean:

BuzzinBumble 04-30-2013 07:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Jan you have so many great insights on how it works here! You always do!

Judi - I started fooling around with the two blocks you suggested - Snowball and Jack in the Pulpit.
First I substituted Jack in the Pulpit for Goose in the Pond in my pattern shown in above post. You get a similar secondary circle effect with a lot less piecing. :thumbup: Loved the results!
Then I tried it with the Snowball block in two different versions. I hope I chose the right type of snowball block. It too came out really neat. (Please pardon the hasty color and border choices)
Rootyr, I thought you might like to see them too:

misseva 04-30-2013 08:05 AM

I think I'm visually impaired - meaning I don't see secondary designs until I look really hard. I didn't see the circles until I stared at one block in the middle and then the circles magically appeared. Which is why I have to have a pattern or get my daughter to help me. She sees the blocks very well.

Jan in VA 04-30-2013 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by misseva (Post 6035969)
I think I'm visually impaired - meaning I don't see secondary designs until I look really hard. ....

Misseva,
Perhaps you are too close to the design, I mean in proximity. Turn your back to the design and look at it through a mirror (like you would if you were checking the back of your hairdo). Or use the wrong end of a pair of binoculars.

Distancing yourself from the design is a quick way of finding problems, too, such as if a block is set/turned wrong.

Jan in VA

jeanharville 04-30-2013 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6032813)
Here is a neat trick to finding a block with this trait. If it has unmatching diagonal corners it will make a secondary pattern......for instance, maple leaf, attic windows, rolling star, Jacob's ladder, fox and geese, crosses and losses, buckeye beauty, Hays corner.
Jan in VA

When I look at blocks like Jacob's ladder, it seems to me the diagonal corner is a 4-patch that looks like the other 3 corners. Can you explain to me what you mean by "unmatching diagonal corners" ? Sorry to be so dense. You always have such good explanations and I appreciate the time to spend trying to make quilting clearer.

misseva 04-30-2013 09:55 AM

Thanks Jan, I'll try that. My daughter can look at a quilt & actually "see" the block as in there's a triangle, square, & here is the whole block. Guess I'm just dense. But I do have one of those little devices to look thru for your quilts and I will try that next time.

sewmary 04-30-2013 10:05 AM

Misseva I couldn't see it either and finally snuck up on it and there it was. To my eye, those patterns are too complex. I can't find a resting spot for my eye.

Sure makes the world interesting in how we see and respond to things.

maryellen2u 04-30-2013 03:51 PM

Have you ever gone to this website and played at the quilt block playground? http://www.freequiltpatterns.info I think it is amazing! It will help you see your blocks before you put them together. A million blocks! That's enough for me.:)

Jan in VA 04-30-2013 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by jeanharville (Post 6036119)
When I look at blocks like Jacob's ladder, it seems to me the diagonal corner is a 4-patch that looks like the other 3 corners. Can you explain to me what you mean by "unmatching diagonal corners" ? ....

I fretted over that after I posted it. I sort of meant the block needs one 'different' corner, can't remember exactly how MEH stated it to us originally. But using the mirror trick, in a later response, is a much better way to find that kind of block and is now what I use most.

Jan in VA