Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Connecting Threads . . . I'm tempted to order some 50 wt for piecing. Yes/No/Maybe? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/connecting-threads-im-tempted-order-some-50-wt-piecing-yes-no-maybe-t221683.html)

Alice Woodhull 05-18-2013 03:05 AM

I bought a cone of CT tread and have used it exclusively for piecing for 6 months, and I've pieced a lot. It looks like the cone is the same size as it was when I got it so it is going really far. I used to use Coats & Clarks and I was forever getting out a new spool as they seemed to go so quickly. I really like Connecting Threads for thread as well as fabric. Their fabric is nice and more reasonable than quilt shop fabrics.

kuntryquilter 05-18-2013 03:20 AM

CT thread is all I use. So far no problems.

MamaHen 05-18-2013 03:46 AM

I use Connecting thread for piecing only. I tried using it on my Avante but it broke way too much. It is a tad linty but I can live with that. I use Superior Bottom line thread in the bobbin, together they make a great pair for seam allowances. I have been using this combination for years, it works well for me, so I'll keep using it.

Scissor Queen 05-18-2013 03:55 AM

Since I already know I'm not likely to have my machine cleaned every year I use the lowest lint threads I can and still use cotton. I only use Aurifil and Prescencia for piecing. You can clean the bobbin area of your machine but the lint gets much deeper than that.

lovelyl 05-18-2013 04:17 AM

I use the cream color CT for piecing and love it. I use it in my vintage machines and my modern Janome. I don't find it any more linty than other threads I have used in the past. Maybe the colors are more linty, but I don't know since I don't use a lot of colored thread. I like Superior threads, but you can't beat CT for price!

quiltmom04 05-18-2013 05:09 AM

I have several colors of Connecting Threads thread, and have found that while it seems to be a good thread, it is a much heavier 50 st. than Aurifil or Superior Threads Alex Anderson's 50 wt. I don't piece with it, but I do use it to quilt with because it is a step heavier than Aurifil, but not as heavy as a machine quilting thread. I think the heavier weight takes up too much space in a seam when you're piecing, and adds more bulk to the seam. I like to piece the most with John Flynn's "So Fine" from Superior Threads.

nana2madmax 05-18-2013 06:10 AM

I use the CT thread in my Janome 6500 and Gammill vision and like the results. I have had no problems with the quality and no problem with lint.

Angel Bear 05-18-2013 06:28 AM

I started using CT cotton threads about a year ago for both piecing on my Pfaff and quilting with my Mega Quilter. It works great for both and I don't have more lint than with other threads. I love this thread and am in the process of converting all of my thread colors to this thread. I have cones of white and black and they seem to last forever. My hubby made me a great wooden cone holder for use with my Pfaff. I encourage you to try this thread.

tessagin 05-18-2013 06:45 AM

We should nickname this board "QBE" QUILTING BOARD ENCYCLOPEDIA"! So much to be learned from this board every time we turn around.

kathdavis 05-18-2013 06:53 AM

Some machines like CT thread and others don't. Buy a spool and try it. If it works you can order all colors. My machine liked it, then hated it, and now loves it again. Doesn't always make sense.