Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cost of purse from 2 FQ's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cost-purse-2-fqs-t111291.html)

Lori S 04-26-2011 07:27 PM

I would not use a magnet type closure , it deactivates the magnetic strip on credit cards, any thing close to the magnet would be affected. Voice of experience.

Scissor Queen 04-26-2011 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I thought copyright laws only apply to the pattern itself???

NoPE these days the designers have claim to what you do with what you make using their design...don't get me started...BUT you do have to read the fine print on every pattern, or err to the designer and write for permission...or try going to their website, some have it listed there....some are bucking the trend and proudly stating do what you want, but others are kicking and screaming...honestly....going to stop now...and pack orders, I love selling stuff!

The federal laws have not changed. Designers can't make up laws to suit themselves.

Rose L 04-26-2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

NoPE these days the designers have claim to what you do with what you make using their design...don't get me started...BUT you do have to read the fine print on every pattern, or err to the designer and write for permission...or try going to their website, some have it listed there....some are bucking the trend and proudly stating do what you want, but others are kicking and screaming...honestly....going to stop now...and pack orders, I love selling stuff!

The federal laws have not changed. Designers can't make up laws to suit themselves.

Here here! If you have to post it, back it up with a Law link.

Jammin' Jane 04-26-2011 07:49 PM

It is very cute!
$15 is reasonable for it!

burnsk 04-26-2011 09:59 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions/recommendations. I am going to crochet my handles for a couple of the bags. I tried velcro dots for closures and they work really well. Also, I was thinking, with a 50% coupon from JoAnn's I could buy pre-quilted fabric ($10 on discount), I could get 4 bags ($2.50 ea.) out of a yard. Add on the cost of Velcro, binding, decorative button and handle. I could sell them for $12 - $15 and at least double my money. Don't want to get rich - just support my habit :lol: and have fun doing it.

I checked the pattern and there is no 'fine print' or a disclosure on the pattern. Also, since I bought the pattern, I have found 2 free tutorials on the internet for these very same bags. So I'm OK there. I should have looked on-line first and saved myself the cost of the pattern. Oh well, it was an impulse buy when I saw the purse in LQS. But that's OK - I'm glad I did. Motivated me to make one right away.

bakermom 04-26-2011 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

They only think they can. Thanks for pointing this out.

montanajan 04-26-2011 10:40 PM

30 years ago I was selling bags made from upholstery fabric for $10 to $15 - you need to receive a fair price making it worth your time and talent - I don't think $18 to $20 is too much.