Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Crazy Quilt backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/crazy-quilt-backing-t119123.html)

Sue Fish 04-27-2011 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by meme peggy
I would like to do a crazy quilt...but I have researched the pattern and it seems do able, but nothing I have found addresses the backing...is it just stitched to the quilt and the border is attached? No batting either? Thanks for your help...memepeggy

Http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-44627-1.htmb
I had a few questions about how to finish mine. Thanks for the help

QuiltMom2 04-28-2011 04:40 AM

I remember a crazy quilt done by someone in my family which we unfortunately used until it fell into pieces! As I recall it was tied with the knots to the back. It was truly gorgeous and had a dark green silk/sateen backing no binding just an envelope finish. Have fun with the stitching!!

RUTH ANN MUNDY 04-28-2011 04:52 AM

WARNING - - CRAZY QUILTING CAN BE ADDITIVE
I STITCHED ON FOUNDATION BLOCKS AND USED BLACK AROUND EACH BLOCK ONCE THE TOP WAS ALL PUT TOGETHER IT WAS QUIT HEAVY WITHOUT ADDING A BATTING. I PUT A COTTON BACK ( DARK RED WITH BIG BLACK ROSES AND VINES) I DID SOME STITCHING WITH INVESIBLE THREAD AND IT LOOKED NICE. NANCY KIRK APPRAISED IT AT $3500-$4000 SO I WAS HAPPY

MTS 04-28-2011 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by RUTH ANN MUNDY

Agreed.

Do you have a picture of your quilt? I'd love to see it.

Ruth,
Please turn off the Caps Lock key when posting. It makes it difficult to read the text. Thank you. :thumbup:

RUTH ANN MUNDY 04-28-2011 05:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry about the caps I will try to send a picture of the quilt I have never sent one before so Hope this works.

crazy quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]190239[/ATTACH]

MTS 04-28-2011 05:26 AM

Ruth-
It's lovely, and a ton of work. Is that black fabric cotton or velvet? It's very, very deep, and really frames each of the blocks.

RUTH ANN MUNDY 04-28-2011 05:34 AM

The back is a very pretty deep red with black roses and vines also the black is not velvet it is a black man made suade like material it looks rich. Velvet and or velvetine is very heavy and hard to work with. I have other pictures I will try to send sometime. I need to got sew for charity to day. I am enjoying this site.

quilter53 04-28-2011 06:34 AM

Do you use your foundation for your backing or is the backing seperate. I have made blocks but haven't put them together. I have a crazy quilt from my gggrandmother in the 1800's. In the center she emb. Will you remember me when I am gone. She was an orphan. I wouldn't take anything for it.

Rose L 04-28-2011 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by RUTH ANN MUNDY
I STITCHED ON FOUNDATION BLOCKS AND USED BLACK AROUND EACH BLOCK ONCE THE TOP WAS ALL PUT TOGETHER IT WAS QUIT HEAVY WITHOUT ADDING A BATTING. I PUT A COTTON BACK ( DARK RED WITH BIG BLACK ROSES AND VINES) I DID SOME STITCHING WITH INVESIBLE THREAD AND IT LOOKED NICE. NANCY KIRK APPRAISED IT AT $3500-$4000 SO I WAS HAPPY

Nancy really loves those crazy quilts!! I took restoration classes with her, so knowledgeable!

mmmMMM 04-28-2011 06:51 AM

Hi,
I went to a crazy quilt show in Madison,WI last year and there were about 20 quilts. The blocks were all finished differently. There is no RIGHT way to make a crazy quilt. It is truly crazy! My best advice is to use a backing that helps stabilize the whole quilt. I made a crazy quilt for my daughter's wedding and it took me 5 years. It had 8" square blocks set 9 across and 12 down. No sashings and no borders. Unfortunately I used old clothing she found in resale shops and I pieced the backing with stretchable velvet. BIG mistake. She hung it on the wall and it wrinkles funny. I made it the size to fit her bed and since she requested dark reds and blacks silks and velvets thats what I used. Then she painted her bedroom brown. I was not happy, but she found a place to hang it and it is really a very lovely focal point for the room.