Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Creative block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/creative-block-t43895.html)

jetnica 04-25-2010 03:23 PM

Oh! I like the coaster idea!!

If I'm stuck, I will pull fabrics from the stash and try to make a purse or totebag. That's usually enough to kick my butt back into gear.

=)

dakotamaid 04-25-2010 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Have some chocolates. Amazing what comes to mind.

O.k. girl, what are you mixing in those chocolates, and where can I get some? giggle giggle :lol:

Ditter

I want some too!!!! :roll:

ReRe 04-25-2010 03:56 PM

Whenever I have a mental block or just plain want to loaf I'll start looking through the Quilter's Cache blocks. I always end up inspired from there.

ReRe

virtualbernie 04-25-2010 04:36 PM

All I have to do is visit this board! Lots of inspiration here! :-)

roselady 04-25-2010 07:37 PM

I usually find a fabric that I love, that I have wanted to use in something. I have many but the one that calls to me wins! From there I will start looking through patterns, magazines, books, etc. I will also look through my stash for fabrics to go with the "star" fabric. That's all it takes for me, and that can lead to an all-nighter if I'm not careful. I have a bulletin board with lots of ideas for quilts I hope to make someday. So spending some time looking at that will always lead to a new quilt to start.

sharon b 04-25-2010 08:57 PM

If you don't have anything pressing that "has" to be done, give yourself a break... take a walk clear your mind and say its ok to take a break :lol: if the block is really bothering you, you get more upset about it and it can cause a pattern of frustration. Does that make sense ?

I know when the weather is yucky outside it causes blocks for me .

jljack 04-25-2010 09:01 PM

That happens....everyone needs a creative holiday....a holiday from creating. Give your brain a rest...keep looking through quilting magazines and maybe resort your fabrics. You will get inspired again....just wait it out. It'll be worth it.

wvdek 04-25-2010 10:00 PM

I have been experiencing the same thing. Can't figure it out.
I have to finish the April Doll Swap and can't get beyond the piecing. I have been doing some English PPing when in the car or when my brain hurts from too much studying. Now finals are coming up and ...

I decided to pick up my crocheting to keep me busy. Maybe a week of that and I will be back in the groove.

MegsAnn 04-26-2010 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
If you don't have anything pressing that "has" to be done, give yourself a break... take a walk clear your mind and say its ok to take a break :lol: if the block is really bothering you, you get more upset about it and it can cause a pattern of frustration. Does that make sense ?

I know when the weather is yucky outside it causes blocks for me .

I agree. Maybe you're just burnt out on quilting. Give yourself permission to take a break and come back when you really want to.

I have times when I loooove quilting, and others when my passion is photography, writing, scrapbooking, or (LOL) sleeping. Just let what is be and don't beat yourself up over it. When it's time, your creative juices will come back.

Oklahoma Suzie 04-26-2010 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Sometimes I just have to force myself to pick out something and just start sewing it... usually a smaller item :D:D:D

that's what I do too.