Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cutting Board Problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cutting-board-problems-t147520.html)

patski 08-24-2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by JANEM100
I have a problem with my cutting boards getting so marked from use that the rotary cutter skips spots. I kept thinking it was the blade but I am now thinking I may need a new board. They are so expensive, except when you have Joann's 50%, that there may be some way to rejeuvanate the board. Anyone with any suggestions? JANE100

you can soak the cutting board in water and white vinegar, use a soft brush (like a mushroom brush) let it soak for about an hour rinse and let dry makes it like new!!

JANEM100 08-24-2011 09:49 AM

That's an idea I hadn't heard of. I will try it.
Thanks
JANEM

JANEM100 08-24-2011 09:51 AM

WOW what an idea. I wil have to try it. Thanks JANEM100

snipforfun 08-24-2011 10:31 AM

I am guesing your cutting board is white! Go with the Olfa green one when the sale comes up again.

wraez 08-24-2011 10:41 AM

I don't know how old your cutting mats are but when you get a new one be sure to clean off all the lint-fabric-threads that get imbedded when you use your rotary cutter.

Using wet or damp cloth is good, but also bend the mat a bit to expose those bits that get imbedded and remove them.

I had my cutting mat for 8 yrs, using both sides, before I had to replace it. Taking even better care now.

patski 08-24-2011 06:04 PM

That's an idea I hadn't heard of. I will try it.
Thanks
JANEM

Heard it on Fons and Porter

arizonagirl 08-25-2011 02:28 AM

I have a problem with my cutting boards getting so marked from use that the rotary cutter skips spots. I kept thinking it was the blade but I am now thinking I may need a new board. They are so expensive, except when you have Joann's 50%, that there may be some way to rejeuvanate the board. Anyone with any suggestions? JANE100

I got a Fiskas 24 x 36 double sided mat at walmart a couple of months ago for around $30. There is a grid on both sides.

Gramof6 08-25-2011 02:40 AM

I use a sticky roller for lint removal on my Olfa Mat and it does a great job at cleaning out the little cracks so it can mend itself. It is the green cutting mat by Olfa. Have had it for over 10 yrs.

misscarol 08-25-2011 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Those are good suggestions.

Sometimes, though, it is just plain worn out and one has to get a new one.

Just had to replace my mat. I was just worn out :?

brushandthimble 08-25-2011 03:12 AM

I TRY to use a different areas; also I recently replaced my smaller boards with the Fisker? two in one as they are gridded on both sides. I also like the way my cutter goes across this brand.

Originally Posted by donnajean
I do use the ruler girds on the cutting board along with those on ruler. I just try to switch to different locations on the mat when cutting & turn the board occassionally so that I'm not always cutting on the same lines. Kind of how I try to sleep in different location on my queen size mattress so that it does not get a sunken area in one place.