Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Debating a New Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/debating-new-machine-t188465.html)

rusty quilter 05-09-2012 01:35 PM

I would go to the nearest Sewing Machine dealer and see what they have that is used. It is a very big deal to have someone close to you who can do minor repairs, adjustments, etc. They will show you what the machine will do--and to me that is a big deal. We often only use about 10% of our machine's capability. $700 is a pretty good starting point for a needle down machine

Jingle 05-09-2012 02:00 PM

I have a Juki TL98QE, it doesn't have all the features of the one on ebay, no extension table. The Brother has an extension table, both are great machines, straight stitch only. I use the Juki and a Babylock Jane, straight stitch only and has an extension table. I use one or the other all the time, and I have made lots and lots of quilts and I quilt them on these also. My Daughter has the Brother and really likes it. I think AllBrands has new one for less than $700.00. Free shipping also. Anyone of these would be a great machine.

callie8799 05-09-2012 02:11 PM

Jennalyn,
I am in a bit of rush so I didn't read the entire thread, but your needs sounds like mine.

I just recently purchased a Babylock Jane as my primary machine. I didn't want all those buttons and gadgets, for I am mainly piecing and want to be able to quilt on the machine (at least stitch in the ditch). Here is what I found out about the BabyJane that propelled me to purchase it:
* It has a deep and wide throat- great for rolling up quilts when FMQ
* It comes with an extension table
* It can be put onto rails to be used for FMQ also (for pieces that are way to big to fit in the throat
* Easy to use -5 buttons total (only one type of stitch- straight)
* come with alot of various feet (1/4", zipper, free motion... I haven't opened the bag yet so I'm sure there is more).
* It does have "automatic scissors
* you have the ability to leave the needle down as you move the feeddogs to move fabric. I know I typed this wrong
*there is a "knee lift" attachment- haven't used it- I sit mine on a table so I don't think it would work, but i haven't tried out.
* very simple machine (I love simplicity) that you really don't need to read the manual- but it is always good to do so
* I haven't got to this point, but it does do 1500 stitches a minute and so far I do like the side loading bobbin.

the price was $800 (I'm in PA) and from going 2 Babylock dealers- you can haggle the pricing a bit. Now, it is heavier than what you have but it can be lifted. I do hear this is similar to the Juki. I feel this is a good quality machine that I will have a long time.

best wishes on your search,
Deb

Dolphyngyrl 05-09-2012 07:00 PM

The juki and brother are pretty much almost the same machine, I wouldn't pay the extra dollars personally

happynana 05-09-2012 08:10 PM

My hubby just bought me the Juki tl98q last month and I love it! Yes it only does straight stitching but also has a quilting foot-have taught myself fmq with it. i love it, the thread cutting feature is wonderful-no loose threads to cut anymore:). Got mine for around $800 too.

Denise S 05-09-2012 08:57 PM

I purchased a Juki TL2010Q last November and made 2 twin sized quilts and 10 rag quilts for Christmas. I could not have done it without this machine. It is a high speed straight stitch machine. It is awesome! I paid $899 and bought it locally. I plan to learn to FMQ with it. I would highly recommend it!

Rose Marie 05-10-2012 08:33 AM

My Baby Lock Jane is the same machine as the Brother 1500.
It is set up on a long arm table. Do not like it because Im spoiled with my Viking Sapphire with the 10 in throat. It is so easy to use and thread. The Jane has a complicated threading and under the machine bobbin that drives me crazy. You dont know when the bobbin is going to run out. I much prefer the drop in bobbin.
I bought the Viking 5 yrs ago for $1100 and you could find a second hand one for a reasonable price by now.
I did buy a Bertha cabinet for it for $550. It takes a bigger cabinet than a regular machine.
Jane is hooked up to a stitch regulator(another $500) which I like.

BellaBoo 05-10-2012 08:55 AM

I have the Brother 1500. It's very easy to clean and maintain yourself. I oil it every day if I'm sewing. The fast speed needs a lot of oil. It is straight stitch only and sews a great stitch. I use it for all my machine quilting. I don't see how it cannot last as long as the vintage Singers. It's that well made.

DogHouseMom 05-10-2012 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by rusty quilter (Post 5205527)
I would go to the nearest Sewing Machine dealer and see what they have that is used. It is a very big deal to have someone close to you who can do minor repairs, adjustments, etc. They will show you what the machine will do--and to me that is a big deal. We often only use about 10% of our machine's capability. $700 is a pretty good starting point for a needle down machine

Agreed. I picked up my slightly experienced Janome 6600 for $700 - included all the feet and the extension table. I've had it for 2 years now and it's perfect. I got mine from a Janome dealer. It was a trade in when someone bought a 7700.

Jennalyn 05-12-2012 05:03 PM

You all make really excellent points! I hadn't been thinking about what dealerships were in the area - that rules anything from Juki out, since I'd have to drive a few hours minimum. Unfortunately, the area is saturated with Bernina dealers, which are way out of my price-range.

Fortunately, I contacted a business about an hour away that sells Janome and they happened to have a perfect condition trade-in 6600 they were willing to sell for $1000 (normally $1599 there). They're closed tomorrow and Monday, so hopefully I can get out of work early on Tuesday to go and have a peek. It's more than I wanted to spend, but I know that a machine like that would be a very good investment from talking to several friends (and reading this forum). Especially for that price!