Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Decorative stitches on quilts?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/decorative-stitches-quilts-t189974.html)

babyfireo4 05-25-2012 10:11 AM

Yes! Go for it. Quilters are unique and creative. We learn by trial and error or trial and awesomeness ;) I personally love using decorative stitches, especially on binding. I sew the front and flip it to the back like normal, then take decorative stitch down the front to catch the back and give it a cute design. We all quilt differently, we all have things that work for us and not others. If you find something you like and don't see in other quilts, show it off, someone else may love it to and use your idea.

dunster 05-25-2012 11:54 AM

I used several decorative stitches when quilting a French braid quilt, one of my earliest quilts. I think it worked out very well.

quilter1 05-25-2012 11:59 AM

I use decorative stitches all the time and like the look. They are great for quick quilts.

Lucio 05-25-2012 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5242265)
I'm not talking about as part of the design, but as part of the quilting. I usually SITD around the inch wide strip I use to contain the color in a quilt - the first border. I have a vintage Montgomery Wards machine that does a very large serpentine stitch. Any thoughts on going down the center of the strip with that in a matching thread - red on red? I have two vertical strips in the quilt that will require the same procedure. Will it look hoky? I have no burning desire to SITD on white with red thread, but it can be done. The quilt already has some machine appliqued flowers, so it has decorative stitching on it now so it wouldn't be a 'new' element.

I would kill to have a machine that has a large serpentine stitch on it for that very purpose. My machines default to a 2.2 stitch length which is much too tight for my taste. I would also like to use it to stitch over the ditch on my children's charity quilts.

DogHouseMom 05-25-2012 04:07 PM

by all means YES!! Just take one word of advice ... use a walking foot. Ask me how I know :)

Weezy Rider 05-25-2012 04:22 PM

The older Vikings like the 1+ had a serpentine type stitch. It was on a card and you could adjust it. Older Pfaffs before the CV had Maxi stitches you can program in on the machine. The CV series probably also has it. These are embroidery machines, though.

I've used all the stitches for crazy quilting, some work just fine for straight quilting. Use your imagination. Grab some fabric and try it.

Certain machines like my Pfaff don't need a separate walking foot. They have IDT built in. The Babylock Quest has a good IDT.

maryb119 05-25-2012 04:47 PM

I use embroidery stitches to quilt on some of my quilts. I use a more open design rather than a dense one because it moves with the machine better with all three layers. It really adds to the quilt design. I have used verigated thread to do the stitching too. I learned that there are no rules in quilting and if you like something, go for it. If you don't like it, you can always take it out. I usually experimented on a scrap quilt sandwich to see how the stitch would look first. It saved me from a couple stitches that didn't work out well on the thickness on the batting.

Quilter 65 05-25-2012 05:17 PM

I have used a blanket stitch instead of a satin stitch on many, many Christmas stockings and really like the look of something different. I think it will be fabulous whatever you decide.

texpat45 05-25-2012 05:26 PM

By all means...use it! It'll look wonderful! I used that same stitch down the middle of the narrow border on a doll quilt I made for my DGD; white on white and it looked great. She loved it...thought it was sooo fancy and perfect for her Princess doll quilt!!

irishrose 05-25-2012 05:41 PM

The vintage Montgomery Wards (made by Juki) was a Salvation Army rescue. $13. My Elna has a serpentine stitch that I've used for a lot of things, but the machine is only straight stitching as it curves back and forth. The MW serpentine curves back and forth with a small zigzag almost like a satin stitch so it's much more impressive. Varigated thread? I'm FMQ with a red/white varigated. It's a thought, but I don't want to detract from the appliqued panel. I used satin stitch and buttonhole stitch both on the panel. The Elna does a wonderful satin stitch. The MW didn't need a walking foot when I did the Jewel Box, but if it does, I can use the Elna's which is actually a Janome as both the Elna and the MW are short shank machines.

Thank you, everyone. Sooner or later, I'll post a picture.