Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dh sharpend my scissors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dh-sharpend-my-scissors-t133621.html)

GrannieAnnie 06-27-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by verna2197
My DH decided to take it upon himself and sharpen my scissors I use for everyday stuff. Well now I can't even cut water with them. I have tried everything, tin foil, sos pad, even made him take them back to the garage to do his thing with it. No results. I am at my wits end. Don't know what to do

verna2197

Thank him for trying and point him toward the store!

MawMaw B 06-27-2011 05:29 PM

We have scissor sharpeners at our local quilt shows. Maybe you can find one at a show near you. My husband knows to NEVER touch my sewing scissors.

LoriEl 06-27-2011 05:33 PM

Whatever you do-DON'T let him get a hold of your fabric scissors!

MadQuilter 06-27-2011 05:34 PM

Give him the ruined pair and buy a new Fiscars for the everyday use.

If it were my DH, he would also get the "IF you EVER lay your hand on my sewing scissors and ruin them, it will not matter, because they will be still be sharp enough for me to stab you." lol

jaciqltznok 06-27-2011 05:36 PM

hair scissors are NOT the same as regular scissors...you need to find a knife/scissor sharpener...

frugalfabrics 06-27-2011 05:47 PM

I bought a Fiskars scissor sharpener long time ago...it's a little gadget with a flint stone or something of that time inside it...I run my scissors thru it every month or so, and my scissors stay sharpened and working great. I've had the sharpener for at least 10 years...don't know if they still make them or not, but it was relatively cheap (less than $5) and has lasted a long time.

watterstide 06-28-2011 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
I bought a Fiskars scissor sharpener long time ago...it's a little gadget with a flint stone or something of that time inside it...I run my scissors thru it every month or so, and my scissors stay sharpened and working great. I've had the sharpener for at least 10 years...don't know if they still make them or not, but it was relatively cheap (less than $5) and has lasted a long time.

yes, they still make them.
i also have one that it shaped like a "cause ribbon"..i use for my garden tools.

a tavern/bar also has thier knives sharpened. we had a guy come pick ours up once a week. so they know someone that does them.

Maire 06-28-2011 05:30 AM

My DH did that many years ago, early in our marriage. He then bought me new scissors so I ended up with better scissors anyway. He never tried to sharpen them again-LOL.

NanaCsews2 06-28-2011 05:59 AM

I learned a very very long time ago when kids were in Jr High to label my scissors. Didn't matter where I would hide them, they seemed to find them for their school projects. I used a fat black perm. marker to write on the handles of those I could, and the blades on the others. Anything labeled 'paper' or 'kids' they could use. These were cheap scissors that I never used for fabric. Broke them of that habit, but I can still go into my 'older stashes' and find little corners or big chunks cut out of my fabric. Get upset at first, then I have to laugh! Some people's kids!

jitkaau 06-28-2011 06:06 AM

Sounds like a shopping trip is coming up.