Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did Walmart contract with Jo Ann's? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-walmart-contract-jo-anns-t193801.html)

Rubesgirl 07-06-2012 06:52 PM

I remember Zayre's, too! I remember when the major department stores in DC all had fabric and a notions dept. A loonnnnggggg time ago! :-)

CoyoteQuilts 07-06-2012 10:02 PM

I was security in our local Zayers store! We didn't have a fabric department though.... I sure did have a lot of fun in that job! Loved grabbing thieves.....

Originally Posted by sewmary (Post 5343778)
I remember Zayres! Ours had a pretty decent fabric dept and so did Penneys. The good old days.

GrannieAnnie 07-06-2012 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by CircleSquare (Post 5343717)
A friend told me that our local Walmart has contracted with Jo Ann's to run the fabric dept. Anyone know anything about this?
Ann

In the case of the Newburgh Indiana store---------that would be a blessing. Next time I'm in there-------------I'm going to cut the fabric myself and let them deal with it later. Two different times I've found something I wanted and been unable to get it cut. Guy refused to call a cutter last time---------------the service department heard about it and so did corporate.

ghostrider 07-07-2012 02:44 AM

I think that's just the current variation of the stubborn, but totally untrue, rumor that WalMart bought JoAnn's.

beadywoman 07-07-2012 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5344999)
In the case of the Newburgh Indiana store---------that would be a blessing. Next time I'm in there-------------I'm going to cut the fabric myself and let them deal with it later. Two different times I've found something I wanted and been unable to get it cut. Guy refused to call a cutter last time---------------the service department heard about it and so did corporate.

Yup, I'll probably cut my own fabric too. It is incredibly frustrating - when you finally find some fabric that is of a quality that you can work with, and have to stand there ringing that danged bell over and over and over and still nobody comes to the fabric department!

mjsylvstr 07-07-2012 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary (Post 5343778)
I remember Zayres! Ours had a pretty decent fabric dept and so did Penneys. The good old days.

Many of the department stores had fabric departments. I do remember as a child going with my Mother and watch the saleslady run the fabric through a little machine attached to the counter. This machine would measure the fabric being purchased and then she would clip at the correct measurement and then cut away. If you were charging the item, she would then write up your charge, fold it and slip it into a medal cylinder and place the cylinder into a chute sending your charge for approval..very similar to the bank drive-ins of today.......
Those were the days...or were they ????

but...it does give away my age !!!!!!!

southernmema 07-07-2012 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr (Post 5345200)
Many of the department stores had fabric departments. I do remember as a child going with my Mother and watch the saleslady run the fabric through a little machine attached to the counter. This machine would measure the fabric being purchased and then she would clip at the correct measurement and then cut away. If you were charging the item, she would then write up your charge, fold it and slip it into a medal cylinder and place the cylinder into a chute sending your charge for approval..very similar to the bank drive-ins of today.......
Those were the days...or were they ????

but...it does give away my age !!!!!!!

Oh my, I had almost forgotten about that experience! What memories!

Latrinka 07-07-2012 04:11 AM

I haven't heard that. But I sure wish our walmart would put in a fabric dept! Whoever runs it!

Holice 07-07-2012 04:15 AM

Perhaps what everyone should do when there is no cutter is to cut, write the price and quantity on a slip of paper and take it to the register. That will get someone's attention. Evil thoughts this morning.

jeanneb52 07-07-2012 04:56 AM

I don't care who runs it...the new lay out is wonderful. We never lost our fabric but now the selection is fabulous. All price ranges, all fun stuff.