Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did you ever wish you were the fabric buyer for your LQS? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-ever-wish-you-were-fabric-buyer-your-lqs-t35962.html)

sunkistmi 02-04-2010 12:27 PM

Absolutely!!!!! I think I would probably be spending most of my paycheck on the fabrics. Oh shoot, ALL of my paycheck. Who am I kidding. However, I don't think I would be very good at it. I tend to lean toward traditional/floral fabrics and a buyer has to provide fabric for everyone. I have a hard time liking some of the wild/modern ones and I know others do, so it would be something I would have to learn/make myself do. I've been trying all AM to find a particular line and spent $500 in my head very easily, not even on what I was looking for! Good thing it was just in my head and not in real life. I'd be dead meat. LOL. Anyone hiring???? Love your questions, FavoriteFabrics.
Wendy

Favorite Fabrics 02-04-2010 09:03 PM

Glad you like the questions, Wendy! It was nice of you to say so.

I'm thinking that most shops (at least the ones I've been to) wind up developing a particular style, in that they tend to lean toward a particular type of fabrics. And it probably reflects the owner's preferences. Though, in the end, it's really about satisfying the customers' taste.

littlehud 02-04-2010 09:10 PM

It would be fun. See and touching all that fabric. Sigh!!!!!!

watterstide 02-05-2010 04:06 AM

nope,not me!

Chrys 02-05-2010 06:49 AM

In a heartbeat! :)

montanaquilter 02-05-2010 06:53 AM

i would love to!! maybe just for a day though cause i'm sure it would become a headache, trying to find things you like, what would sell and pleasing the customers. would be a huge responsibility for sure! but i would love to see and feel all the new fabrics that would be coming out!! i'm sure it's hard not to buy everything and go over budget too!!

Rose Marie 02-05-2010 07:03 AM

I notice that shops have a line of fabrics but dont have the most needed one that pulls all the other colors togather. It is so frustrating to need the one color they dont have.

Boston1954 02-05-2010 08:26 AM

If I ever were, I would order all the stuff I like......OH BOY!!!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-05-2010 09:28 AM

I would be bad at it. I have very little fabric vision. I'm always seeing pictures of fabric that I think is flat ugly and doesn't go together and a few weeks later there is a post of a beautiful quilt from that ugly fabric.

Scissor Queen 02-05-2010 09:31 AM

There used to be a quilt store where I lived that specialized in "dead rat colors" as my girlfriend calls them. That store was almost depressing to go in to since all the colors were dark and dreary. I always wished I could buy some brighter colors to cheer that store up. The other store at that time pretty much only carried florals. But no blenders to go with the florals. And of course nothing from one store went with anything from the other store.