Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Different Fabric Types... One Quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/different-fabric-types-one-quilt-t288440.html)

tessagin 05-23-2017 12:47 AM

Lite fusible

toverly 05-23-2017 04:13 AM

Before you cut, I would practice first. If you look up directions for how to use neckties, that might help. The silk ties are fine and slippery also. You'll definitely need interfacing. Also look up bandana quilts. Pintrest might show you how to just sew them together in squares and not try to cut them. I would think raveling would be a big problem.

applique 05-23-2017 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic (Post 7829122)
Starch will be your friend...it will give some body to the thinner, slick fabrics. I like to spray then iron multiple times instead of just 1 coat. I also like glue basting any points that need to line up.

Terial Magic instead of starch.

ckcowl 05-23-2017 10:43 AM

Lightweight fusible stabilizer- recommended for rayons- is really going to help. Fuse the stabilizer on Before cutting any of your rayons. You need one for rayons because one for cottons will need too much heat and might melt your rayon.

GlendaNixon 05-23-2017 11:32 AM

I'd not thought of any of these suggestions. I learned something new, the Terial Magic, I'm excited to try this. The Pickle Dish pattern I choose is the 'blade' version, not the triangle version. Thank y'all so much for helping!!!

carolynjo 05-24-2017 05:41 AM

I think that is an ambitious project. Post us a pic when finished.

salederer 05-24-2017 06:49 AM

Definitely use stabilizer on the silky fabrics! That should "equalize" the fabrics some. I would make sure it is a lite weight one. Good luck!

bearisgray 05-24-2017 09:45 AM

Are these to be quilts to use or quilts to just look at?

cashs_mom 05-24-2017 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 7829531)
Before you cut, I would practice first. If you look up directions for how to use neckties, that might help. The silk ties are fine and slippery also. You'll definitely need interfacing. Also look up bandana quilts. Pintrest might show you how to just sew them together in squares and not try to cut them. I would think raveling would be a big problem.

I would use a pattern that allowed me to use the scarves as they are if possible. Raveling could be a huge problem. A fusible interfacing will help that and the make them somewhat less slippery, but they are still going to be a bit hard to work with. I would also get some similar scarves. Maybe from a resale or garage sales and practice a bit before I committed to a specific pattern or technique.

They would make an awesome crazy quilt and it would be much more forgiving than other patterns.

GlendaNixon 05-24-2017 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7830358)
Are these to be quilts to use or quilts to just look at?

My Grandmother had three daughters. There is to be one for each of them. One daughter may hang it as display but I think the other 2 will put them away.