Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do any of you ever use a light box ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-any-you-ever-use-light-box-t87777.html)

Cyn 01-05-2011 06:03 AM

I have a piece of glass that's pretty big but I usually just hang everything on my sliding glass door. Then we all look at it for a week or so ;)

ibequilting1 01-05-2011 06:33 AM

I have the Sew Steady plexiglass table for my machine and I just put a small florescent light under, works great.

sewTinker 01-05-2011 06:38 AM

I have a lightbox that I purchased onLine years ago. When I need it, I'm so happy I have it. These furniture pieces sound wonderful - my sis-in-law has one built into her cutting table. Very clever.

featherweight 01-05-2011 08:09 AM

I found a light box at an estate sale 3.00. I use it quite often with my PP. I also use it with the applique if I HAVE to do it...

crochetetc 01-05-2011 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I had one I used for years, made out of an old drawer, with glass on the top, and a bathroom light inside. I found it got hot and drilled holes in the side of the drawer to help let that out, but in the end I gave in and bought a commercial one.
My new one has a slope, is comfortable to use on my lap all evening if needs be, and has a cool, daylight bulb in it.
Of course, I don't use it every day, but when I do, it beats standing at a window, waiting for a sunny day (in short supply sometimes in Ireland).

I am going to make an Affairs of the Heart quilt this year, in tandem with several other members after they finish their Dear Jane quilts - there will be a BOM thread on here for any others that want to join in. The original has a black background (though you could choose something different) and I just discovered that my light box will work with the black to make easy tracing.

I will be watching for it. That is on my to do list to finish, we started it as a group and then the LQS closed and it was put away. I started it in two color ways to combine into a king size quilt. I have a list of which blocks are the easiet and the hardest if you are interested pm me.

And I bought a large light box and love it!

applique 01-05-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dandish
At a garage sale, I found one that looks like the light boxes that the doctor hangs x-rays on - it's pretty big. For $5 I couldn't pass it up!

I also have a huge one from a hospital with two lights in it. It is huge and heavy but I love it and use it all the time for machine applique patterns.

nativetexan 01-05-2011 08:40 AM

i have a light box i haven't used in years. but it is a help since i work in the basement.

Candace 01-05-2011 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
I use the window. depending on size I may go to mommas for her french doors. I tape pattern to window or wall and then tape up the fabric. Definately free minus the tape.

Me too:>

pastormarilyn 01-05-2011 03:53 PM

I just got one from Keepsake quilting for a Christmas present. Haven't used it yet, but I am looking forward to it.

sewingladydi 01-05-2011 07:14 PM

I just use my glass top coffee table and put a lamp under it. Or tape it to my patio door wall