Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do blocks need to be squared? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-blocks-need-squared-t156291.html)

Irene Frohreich 09-28-2011 04:33 PM

I learned the hard way, square up your blocks, the quilt police got me, my dd, said Mom you didn't square up your
blocks and they don't fit right. I could have cried, but took it all apart and started over, looked a lot better when done the second time around. Square them up someone will notice.

MadQuilter 09-28-2011 04:35 PM

I found that the better I do the prep work, the better the result will be and squaring falls in the prep work. On a simple block, I at least measure the blocks so I know how much - if any - the blocks are off. Anything too large gets trimmed and if the difference isn't too much, I use the smaller ones as is (adjusting the seam allowance as I go). I think that comes with experience. I used to be way more retentive in some detail work.

bearisgray 09-28-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Irene Frohreich
I learned the hard way, square up your blocks, the quilt police got me, my dd, said Mom you didn't square up your
blocks and they don't fit right. I could have cried, but took it all apart and started over, looked a lot better when done the second time around. Square them up someone will notice.

The "someone" might be you - when you are trying to put the blocks together and they aren't fitting very well!

QuiltE 09-28-2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

Originally Posted by Irene Frohreich

The "someone" might be you - when you are trying to put the blocks together and they aren't fitting very well!

And that someone/you can be prouder of your finished product, than when you do not square as you go.

QM 09-28-2011 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
It helps to keep everything straight when assembling the whole quilt. Let me be the first to admit that I don't always square mine up. :-)

Exactly.

SandraQuilts 09-28-2011 07:35 PM

I think it is a good habit to get into.
If you start doing it, you can almost look and see where you are off in the tiniest way, the more sewing time you get under your belt. You'll be a happier quilter if you get in the habit of doing it. It really SAVES time in the long run, if you ask me.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-29-2011 08:49 PM

I agree with the rest.
Your quilt is LOVELY!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

lynnsim 09-29-2011 09:03 PM

What you've done looks great. That said, I do square up my blocks. Like others, I learned the hard way. I normally sew about 3 or 4 blocks at a time; square them up; then go on to the next set.

quiltmouse 09-30-2011 07:46 AM

hensandhollyhocks - love your quilt!!! and your name!!!