Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you consider it "cheating" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-consider-%22cheating%22-t37921.html)

Quilt4u 02-27-2010 06:31 AM

No. The quilts are not massed produced.

julroc 02-27-2010 07:46 AM

I'm a longarm quilter and did at first consider and computerized machine but didn't go that route in the long run. I actually like doing the work myself. But if I ever added another machine my husband said he would get the computerized one so he could just set it and let it sew while he watches a game!LOL!!!

tkhooper 02-27-2010 07:57 AM

I'm with those that wonder if "cheating" is an important question.

Unless you are entering a quilting contest where the rules state that it all has to be made my hand. Or something like that. Does it really matter what techniques or machinery you use?

For me I do most things by hand but that's because I'm left handed and never made friends with a sewing machine.

Do what gives you the results you want.

erstan947 02-27-2010 08:01 AM

Whatever it takes. A quilt top stored away is of no value. I believe in using my quilts to sleep under. A finished quilt is the best of all. I didn't know there were quilt police out there....It's your quilt and quilt it how you choose. Happy Quilting.

Esqmommy 02-27-2010 08:20 AM

I don't think cheating is the right word. No, it's not the same as the time that goes into a free motion, or a stencil and domestic machine quilting, or a hand quilted quilt. But it's handmade all the same, and therefore, wonderful.

kwhite 02-27-2010 08:51 AM

I have just seen, for the first time, one of these computerized LA quilting machines. I have to admit I thought "cheating" too. Personally I don't care for them. I admire the LA'er who can make that machine humm and make beautiful designs "by hand" like Green Fairy. I do not care for perfection where a quilt is concerned. If perfection is what I wanted I would buy a comercial "quilt" made entirely by hand. IMO computers take the art out of quilting.

grammyp 02-27-2010 09:17 AM

To me this is the difference in "homemade" and "handmade". It may not seem big to some, but if I sew and quilt or make a cake from scratch myself, I would consider it "handmade". If I turn on a machine and it does everything for me, or use a mix, then I would consider it "homemade". If I sent something out to be quilted for me, it makes no difference to me how they do it, since it does not affect my input to the project.

JudeWill 02-27-2010 09:35 AM

Well, now I know more I didn't know I didn't know! :lol: I didn't know those long arm machines would work on their own! I thought you had to make the designs by moving the machine yourself. I couldn't imagine how someone could make those beautiful designs so even by hand. But it sounds like--from reading the postings--that some are done that way. Can the long arms work either way or does it depend on the machine? So much I still don't know!

Candace 02-27-2010 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by JudeWill
Well, now I know more I didn't know I didn't know! :lol: I didn't know those long arm machines would work on their own! I thought you had to make the designs by moving the machine yourself. I couldn't imagine how someone could make those beautiful designs so even by hand. But it sounds like--from reading the postings--that some are done that way. Can the long arms work either way or does it depend on the machine? So much I still don't know!

There are computerized "brains" available for many long-arms. The QBot and PCQuilter just to name two. If you google either of those you can watch demos on them. They're very interesting and just like embroidery machines except very large scale. And very pricey too...

pegquilter8 02-27-2010 12:10 PM

Please get me the name of the machine that quilts all by itself!!! I have 20 tops waiting to be quilted.
Please, Please send me the name.