Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have a fabric "regret"? I do.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-fabric-regret-i-do-t194283.html)

AZ Jane 07-12-2012 06:58 AM

Oh my, you guys are collectively breaking my heart!!!!!!! I refuse to think about regrets, in any compartment of life. Move forward.

mom-6 07-12-2012 07:18 AM

Not a 'fabric' regret, but fits here. When our house burned in 2000 I did not try to salvage much of anything. I was told that the sewing machine should be OK. Being in shock still and not knowing what I know now about doing it yourself on cleaning up vintage machines, I let it go with all the stuff we weren't trying to keep. It is the machine I learned to sew on and was a great machine. I was just afraid I wouldn't be able to find anyone to check it out and be sure everything was working properly.

IBQLTN 07-12-2012 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5356461)
I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I regret buying so much fabric, because now there's no room for more.

I'm right there with you. And, of course the color tones are different every year so if I need something to go with what I have I may not find it! And there are those fabrics I still can't quite cut that just take up space and accuse me!

jcrow 07-12-2012 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN (Post 5359015)
I'm right there with you. And, of course the color tones are different every year so if I need something to go with what I have I may not find it! And there are those fabrics I still can't quite cut that just take up space and accuse me!

And I'm right there with you, too. Only a lot of my fabric I have now I don't care for. I've had it around for years and I've looked at it for so long, I don't like it any more. I have fabric lines, but they are dated (to me) and I like the newer, brighter and cheerier fabric now. For now on, I am only going to buy fabric I am going to use right away.

champagnebubbles 07-12-2012 10:49 AM

No regrets...none...honest...just happy to have my feet in the right postion.
If I start to think that way I get way too sad.

jigsymom 07-12-2012 12:25 PM

When my mom passed away I found her square hard plastic purse from the 50s (remember those?) full of all her pretty hankies . I washed and ironed them and put them back in the purse and want to put them in a quilttop some day. Mom has been gone 15 years now.. recently my oldest daughter and I were talking and imagine my suprize when she told me that one thing she wished she had taken of her grandmothers was the square plastic purse grandma used to let her play with. Her eyes lit up when I told her I had it.
My dad is 97 and can only wear plaid all cotton shirts. When his time comes I am hopeing that I can ask my stepmom if its okay that I take all of dads shirts so I can make a quilt top with them.

Maggiedeux 07-12-2012 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 5358537)
Oh my, you guys are collectively breaking my heart!!!!!!! I refuse to think about regrets, in any compartment of life. Move forward.

AMEN, sister! Life is too short. I just want to "learn my lesson" and move on.

LSM Quilter 07-12-2012 01:03 PM

Like one other post, I sometimes regret when I buy fabric for projects not yet conceived. I went to JoAnn's just the other day to buy two pieces of fabric. Because of sale prices and coupons, I just couldn't resist buying other fabric and left with 7 or 8 pieces of fabric. But, I got such a deal (at least that's what I tell myself).

MaryLane 07-12-2012 02:42 PM

I honestly don't have any of those type of regrets. I am grateful that my sons wore all of their t-shirts out (and are still wearing some) and never had any interest in a t-shirt quilt. I just don't like them and I know I would have hated making them.

I do regret buying fabric for curtains for every room in the house we built. After we moved in (when I planned to make them) I realized we live far enough back and had enough porches that our house just doesn't need them. It is a log home and the scenery makes it work. Now, I have yards and yards of fabric from the early 90s. It frequently appears on the backs of projects!

gmcsewer 07-13-2012 05:36 AM

My friend is making a table runner, really long, for her daughter using the old handkerchiefs. She is mounting them with fabric spray on a plain white fabric probably 30 inches wide and then covering them with organza and stitching that down with designs in the handkerchiefs and in the remaining white space. All the ones she is using are white with embroidery designs and very delicate lace. It is going to be beautiful