Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you know?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-know-t103690.html)

polly13 02-28-2011 05:24 AM

I once thought I should, but then realized it didn't really matter. I would not spend a penny if it hurt the family budget. Being a non-smoker I always say I spent my cigarette money.

rdorminy 02-28-2011 05:31 AM

We keep a budget so yes I know what I spend on quilting. Shocking but not outrageous and it's so enjoyable, grin.

PaperPrincess 02-28-2011 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
Some things are better left unknown

This is a good rule to live by.

tntgranny 02-28-2011 06:23 AM

I'm afraid to start figuring. It might look like something in the National Budget - and I have no intention of cutting back.

nanna-up-north 02-28-2011 06:29 AM

I figure that what I spend is less than what I'd be paying out to a shrink if I didn't do the hobbies I love. As long as I don't spend more than I have coming in...... it's nobody's business, right?

Karen's Kreations 02-28-2011 06:43 AM

Are you kidding!?! That's probably the last thing I want to know. I was at a LQS in Kansas last week with my husband - I bought 6 yards of batiks and a bali pop. When the purchase was totaled my DH was astounded - That cost $$$!, was his response. So no, I don't keep track.

Baloonatic 02-28-2011 06:48 AM

I used to bury the fabric receipts deeeeep in the trash bag but now, since almost all the quilts I make are for charity, I keep track of those receipts because I can deduct them from my taxes. I also traveled 2,040 miles last year for non-profit quilting purposes, tax-deductable as well.
When I told my tax preparer my numbers I feared DH would have a heart attack, but he managed to survive... With gas prices going up so high he's started making ugly noises about my monthly gas costs.

Baloonatic 02-28-2011 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by polly13
I once thought I should, but then realized it didn't really matter. I would not spend a penny if it hurt the family budget. Being a non-smoker I always say I spent my cigarette money.

When I retired and was finally able to devote more time to quilting, I quit smoking and drinking wine. YES INDEED I'm still saving money, no matter how much fabric I buy!! Idon't spend more than my discretionary budget, I meet some wonderful quilters, keep my mind active, and its still cheaper than therapy...

charhend 02-28-2011 07:07 AM

Oh gosh... Why would I want to know the real facts and make myself sick?? If everyone on this site would stop giving the names of quilt shops going out of business or the wonderful shops that are having great sales it would be much eaiser not to spend! LOL

tntgranny 02-28-2011 07:27 AM

I'm doing my part to restart the economy. Just think of the stores I'm supporting (and their staff) the shipping industry, the cotton industry...I'm just being PATRIOTIC!!