Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you preshrink your batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-preshrink-your-batting-t84780.html)

Farm Quilter 12-24-2010 09:24 PM

I sometimes pre-wash my wool batting just because it shrinks so much. I have actually had to wash it because it of smoke from my pellet stove getting into my closet up stairs where I stored it...it was black and it was supposed to be white. I washed it on gentle and put it in a warm dryer for about 15 minutes. Came out great!

Boscobd 12-24-2010 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by QazyQltr

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
I almost always use Warm and Natural and have never pre-shunk it. I also have never had a problem with it after washing a quilt.

Same here :-)

Ditto! :-)

MerryQuilter 12-25-2010 02:28 AM

no

Moonglow 12-25-2010 02:36 AM

No didn't think I had to.

reginalovesfabric 12-25-2010 05:41 AM

I buy my batting by the roll from Linda's electric quilt.com and no I don't pre wash and don't intend to, I've never had a problem even with the packaged type I get from HObby lobby and Michaels

sewcrafty 12-25-2010 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Prewashing and shrinking Warm and Natural sort of defeats the purpose of using it. It's mainly for that antique look. Other batts will give you a flatter, quilt appearance.

I agree. I pre-wash all my fabric, but not the batting, because its where I get my antique look from. With the fabric washed and the batting not I get just the right look for me.

I don't know if I would even attempt to put in a washer. If I wanted to shrink it, I probably would take a bottle of water and mist the batting, then put in dryer.

catlover 12-25-2010 10:31 AM

I use Warm and White batting. I do preshrink it. It washes beautifully if you don't agitate. I soak it for an hour or so in very warm water. I spin out the water. Then it does into the dryer on gentle. I've never had a problem with it falling apart. I do longarm quilting. I don't want my finished quilts to shrink. All fabrics get a prewash, too. Fabrics can bleed, especially batiks. I press them using Mary Ellen to get the crispness back prior to cutting.
Any batting with cotton will shrink. I've not tried wool. I imagine there is shrinkage with it too.

Cynthia

dublb 12-25-2010 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by gingerella
I like the scrunched look of an older quilt, so I wouldn't preshrink either batting or fabric.

However, I have a sister who uses 100% wool batting (her grandkids live in Alaska) ..I don't believe she has ever pre-shrunk, but then I'm not sure that she realizes that wool batting will shrink badly if washed. If I were to use wool batt, I surely would preshrink. It has occurred to me that I really should mention that to her, but she may know it.

I use the wool batting & love it!! I to love the crinkled look! I do prewash my fabric but not my batting. After my quilt is finished I wash & dry it once. Then I give instructions to the recipient to never put it in the dryer from the washer, how ever if it has grass on it or cat or dog hair a good trick for getting these off is to stick it in the dryer dry & tumble for a 15 or 20 minuets. This way it wont keep shrinking like wool does.

Lori S 12-25-2010 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by cooper
no one i know does that
whats the point?

IF using a cotton batting and you do NOT want the Crinkled antique look , and you want it to look the same as when you finished it , pre-shrink. I do not like the crinkled look for table runners , I like them to be a smooth as possible. Some "modern" looking quilts it is a preference for me to have them flat, not crinkled. It all depends on what you want the quilted item to look like after its washed.

BrendaB 12-25-2010 07:07 PM

I haven't. Didn't even know it was possible. Haven't used anything but Warm and Natural so far though and haven't had any problems with washing.