Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you quilt your own? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-quilt-your-own-t38083.html)

dannypanny 02-27-2010 10:58 AM

I also do all my quilting by hand. I have done one wall hanging by machine... It was sooo quick!!!!

I also do all my applique work by hand. Tried with machine, but I seem to ask too much of myself by being too fussy.

I find quilting by hand very relaxing.

sewcrafty 02-27-2010 12:13 PM

I've done all 3. I've only had 1 quilt sent out though. 75% of what I do are hand quilted.

Quilt Mom 02-27-2010 12:24 PM

I'e done all three. When I sent them to a loong arm quilter, I guess communication was not good, and the job done was not what I had asked for. So I do most of mine by hand, or by machine if in a time bind.

Cathie_R 02-27-2010 01:30 PM

I do my own quilting. About 95% hand quilting. I use a lap hoop and fine it very relaxing. I just dont get very many done as I get bored with only one project at a time so it sometimes take me almost a year to get a queen sized quilt finished. However, when it is finished I know that it is all my work - mistakes and all.

Cathie_R 02-27-2010 01:32 PM

Sorry about the spelling mistakes. I hate a lap top keyboard.

stitchinwitch 02-27-2010 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Just curious - I have been wondering how many of you quilt your own quilts (machine or hand) OR send them out to be quilted. I ONLY do mine at home - on the regular sewing machine (Handiquilter is packed away) - I do the Cotton Theory type of quilting.

What is the cotton theory type of quilting? (curious)

lets see if I can describe - it is practicall like "quilt as you go" so you wouldn't have to contend with a LARGE quilt on the machine - just blocks or strips.

stitchinwitch 02-27-2010 01:36 PM

Hand quilting?? Lucky you - no arthritus yet! I bet you do terrific work!

stitchinwitch 02-27-2010 01:38 PM

WOW! You ladies are something else - it looks like the majority hand quilt! I have got to hand it to you!

katsewnsew 02-27-2010 01:40 PM

I do all mine by machine. I guess I feel like it is part of the "making a quilt" process - you know, start to finish. I am far from an expert machine quilter, but I take my time and rather enjoy it. If I screw something up, Oh well!!! That's part of "Homemade" to me. I did learn not to quilt in the mornings! Coffee just made my quilting look "jerky"!Tee Hee

maryb119 02-28-2010 04:59 PM

I usually quilt my own quilts because I get these ideas how I want it to look while I am piecing them. The only one who can get it to look the way I want is me. I try to explain to someone else what I want and it turns out OK but not exactly how I want them to. I machine quilt some of them but I love to hand quilt and I always have one on the frame. It is relaxing to work on in the evenings after a stress filled day at work. It is cheaper than therapy and I have something to show for it when it is done.