Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you quilt your own? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-quilt-your-own-t38083.html)

NCfleur 03-01-2010 08:01 AM

I'm a very new quilter and was very anxious about quilting my first quilt. We have a LQS that rents long arm machines. You have to take a class and they do hold your hand through the process. $15/hour to use the machine. It took me 3.5 hours for the class and the quilting (lap size quilt). I was very pleased with the results and now I can say I did everything myself from cutting, piecing, and quilting my very first quilt.

Candace 03-01-2010 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by NCfleur
I'm a very new quilter and was very anxious about quilting my first quilt. We have a LQS that rents long arm machines. You have to take a class and they do hold your hand through the process. $15/hour to use the machine. It took me 3.5 hours for the class and the quilting (lap size quilt). I was very pleased with the results and now I can say I did everything myself from cutting, piecing, and quilting my very first quilt.

I wish we had a place near me that did that. The closest sewing machine dealer that sells long-arms doesn't even have sales people there that know how to use it and give a demo!! You have to go to a special event every 3-4 months where the long-arm rep comes to give a demo. Bizarre.

mytwopals 03-01-2010 08:42 AM

I quilt my own.

stitchinwitch 03-01-2010 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Candace

Originally Posted by NCfleur

I wish we had a place near me that did that. The closest sewing machine dealer that sells long-arms doesn't even have sales people there that know how to use it and give a demo!! You have to go to a special event every 3-4 months where the long-arm rep comes to give a demo. Bizarre.

Oh now THAT would be nice - renting a longarm --- 'wish there was a place here in the Ozarks that had that!

Jamie 03-01-2010 09:25 AM

I do my own quilting..I was just sitting here doing dome FMQ thinking how much time this takes, even by machine..because I don't have a long arm. So I decided to come check...I get frustraited with things that take to long to do lol

stitchinwitch 03-01-2010 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jamie
I do my own quilting..I was just sitting here doing dome FMQ thinking how much time this takes, even by machine..because I don't have a long arm. So I decided to come check...I get frustraited with things that take to long to do lol

I HEAR ya!

JUNEC 03-01-2010 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I do my own quilting. I have the HQ16. just quilted two queen tops yesterday and today. Have one more queen and a lap waiting. I want to try the Fun and Done and Cotton way. I have one of her patterns. Just need time. Anyone got any extra time they can send me :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is a HQ16? - New to quilting

studio-christine 03-01-2010 02:31 PM

hubby and I bought a short arm (used)

theory was that I could get some of my tops quilted

so far, have quilted a few of mine, but done some simple quilting for friends

don't charge $$, but trade quilting for a store coupn, thread, batting and stuff

Oklahoma Suzie 03-01-2010 03:39 PM

I do my own, or have my sister do them.

deedum 03-01-2010 04:26 PM

They certainly are just breathtaking when they come back from the longarm quilters!